1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Front Mount vs. Mid Mount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, May 28, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

What are the benefits and disadvantages of front mount mowers compared to mid mount mowers? i.e. the pros and cons of each. I know there are a lot of mid mount ZTR fanatics here, but let's be fair and civilized and give honest opinions from those who actually OWN and OPERATE them.
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Front mount is basically is large WB with sitdown sulky, it is very very long and SLOW....:sleeping: There is no match to midmount, midmount rocks top to bottom. You can't do Zero turn like Abram tank does on frontmount and that is enough damage to put front mount as sherman tank era...do you get it?
    I have seen an old guy with Gravely frontmount cutting public park in one of downtown highend section, it took him forever and ever for those turn and twist and such to get things done.:sleeping:
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A front mount ZTR machine will almost give both a better ride, and a better quality cut than a midmount, espacially on uneven ground. A front mount will cut just as fact as a midmount. A front mount is great for wide open mowing, but a little harder to handle if you hae a lot of close-spaced objects to mow around. A front mount will cut closer into corners, it will easily get under fences, and is great when cutting around and under low hanging trees and shrubs. A front-mount will usually hold hillsides better than a midmount.

A midmount takes less space than a frontmount on a trailer, is easier to get in between close spaced objects, and is faster when you have a lot of tight areas to mow in.
    Midmounts are bigger sellers, mostly because of the trailer space issue, and the cost factor.
    I have owned and operated both types of machines. I much prefer a front mount, but some jobs just require the smaller size on a midmount.