Front mount VS midmount rutting and tracking issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hermanator, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a new and larger ztr or front mount this winter. Have been doing a lot of looking at commercial and residential lawns all summer and I have noticed that so many of them have rutting/tracking ruts in them. I have also noticed that almost 100% of these lawns are all mowed by ztr's, not front mounts. The rutting is terrible in some. 2" to 3" deep and 8" to 10" wide.

My question is, does a front mount rut/track less as the weight is spread over more tires and more surface area then with the ztr?

2. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Some, but it's negligible.

It still depends on ground conditions and the size of the tires.

Switching and/or offsetting your cutting path will help some.

3. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

We don't really have an issue in our lawns as we are always changing directions and off setting even a half of a cutting width, but if a front mount would be less, is it lees of an amount to make the change from our current ztr's?

4. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

davidcalhoun and Hermanator are right on the money.

5. davidcalhoun

As I said before, the rut saving from a front mount would negligible/slight over a mid mount (if both units weigh the same).

Yes, you are dispersing the deck weight over part of it's own set of castors (although the tires are smaller). The rest of the power unit is spread over 3 to 4 tires.

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

My question is, does a front mount rut/track less as the weight is spread over more tires and more surface area then with the ztr?[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

IMO It doesnt make any difference If you have a front,Mid Side or back mount...If your ZTR or Front mount weighs In at say 1000Lbs...Than a percentage of the weight is transferred to your 4 tires...Now the question Is what percentage is on the rear compared to the front tires.
    An even amount of total force will be applied to each tire, If the center of gravity Is In the center of the two axials. Tire width plays a big part here as well...Thats one of the reasons why they design machines to run the wider tires on the back...where most of the weight Is.
    One other good factor to consider Is how far does the rear overhang the center of the rear axial. The weight has to be evenly distributed to the 4 tires and the tire size has to have the appropriate width to spread the load out on the Turf.
    Too much weight on our lawns Is not a good thing.

7. davidcalhoun

Most mid mounts have 4 tires that run in the same tire track/path (back drive wheels follow in the same track as the front castors).

On some front mounts you could have the weight spread over 5 to 6 tires (power unit has 3 to 4 and the deck has 2). If all of these tires line up on a front mount, then you will save just a little on rutting due to the fact that you are speading the weight out over more tires. Less weight per tire to rut the ground as much.

If you had a Walker front mount, it is possible to disperse the weight in a different tracking path. Remember that the front castors will be set according to it's width and the real wheels (yes, one or two rear wheels), will be in the middle. This might cut down on some rut situations since the wheels do not all follow each other.