Front mounted Aerator on ztr

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by yarddawgsllc, Feb 16, 2008.

1. yarddawgsllc

yarddawgsllc LawnSite Member

Does anyone have advice on the practical use of the front mount aerators for zero turns. We are considering buying one, but aren't sure how well they work. I have heard stories of them tearing up lawns, not penetrating deep enough and that they don't work well in certain types of soil. These were all old forums that I had read and I can't find any current ones on this subject. So if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. We are considering the one made by Country ZTR and I have the link posted on here.

http://www.countryztr.com/lawnaerators.htm

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

The only experiance that I have with them were all bad the do tear up lawn if you don't take your time with turning and be ready to where dirt.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Ditto what Ks said. That thing is a joke... The tines are WAY too far apart to be effective. I'm sure when they built it they were lookig to dazzle everyone with their "aeration width" and thought everyone would be too dense to notice that there's about the same number of tines on that as a 19" walkbehind aerator.

5. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I use the "Aeravator" on the front of my Grasshopper 928D. It works well in all conditions even very dry/hard ground. It's PTO driven so you need to keep moving, otherwise the vibrating tines will tear the turf up.

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i like my hooker by jrco, if i had a walker i would put a plugger on it,

7. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

Plugr makes a pull behind and has its own power plant. I believe its the PL1600.

8. yarddawgsllc

yarddawgsllc LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I kind of thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I will probably look at the walk behind units a little harder. Thanks again for the info.