Front of exmark deck bent in, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Feb 29, 2008.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I bought this mower a week ago and the front nose of the deck is bent about an 1 1/2 inches down which caused the sides to crease in slightly also. The guy I bought it off of says the mower cuts with no probs so I tested everything out and everything looks ok from underneath. The problem I am seeing is when I drop the deck down into the cutting position at 3" or so, the nose is less than an inch off the ground versus the rest of the deck which is about 2 1/2 to 3". I think this is going to cause scalping on any small uneven spots in the grass. In the picture its hard to tell how bad it is, but that is why the front anti scalp wheel is missing on one side becasue it wont fit without riding the ground the whole time. Someone must have hit something really hard for that to bend down. Anyways just wondering if there are any ideas on how to pull it back up? Thanks

Jason

exmarksale%20011.JPG

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Did they tweak the whole deck? You might want to get a straight edge and check that thing out. If you can get the front edge of the deck straightened out, it should bring that wheel bracket up a little so you can use a wheel there, it looks like it got sucked down a little with that dent.

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

a good machinist may be able to fix that. take it to a machine shop

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

wow, that thing took quite a hit apparently. Could it have caused any damage to the spindles? just from the impact that thing must have taken it couldve loosened something or knocked something out of line.. just a thought...

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, you're going to need some heavy duty equipment, and a healthy dose of caution to not make it worse. Check your yellow pages.:)

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

That took some force to bend that deck like that. Can you get your money back, you said "the guy says it cuts with no problems" I would think you would have test mowed with it before the transaction. Did you also get a great deal. Why I never purchase used ZTRS ever

7. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I did run the blades and everything seemed fine, but there was no grass growing yet so I couldnt test it. I checked the rest of the deck for any probs and there were none noticeable. The rest of the deck appeared to be level also, after checking it on my garage floor. There is a small crease on top about 3" back from the nose where it creased down a little. I would like to think I got a good deal, it has only 650 hrs on it and paid less than half of what one would cost new. Does anyone know what the deck frame would cost to order a new one? I am sure it is not cheap. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jason

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not tying to be negative, but a new 60" deck is going to start at 2,500 and go up. A new 7-iron 60" for example is 3,000K. Get your money back. The cost to repalce the damaged deck is a nice down payment on a new mower IMO

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use this tool, the link is for Harbor Freight and its down right cheap from them I got mine from MAC tools 10 yrs ago and know I paid alot more then that and it looks exactly the same except mine is red(and says MAC on the case:hammerhead:). I use mine to bend back almost all of the decks that come in with the front lip tucked in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44899

10. Johan Sweden

Johan Sweden LawnSite Member

I would simply heat it up with gas and knock and bend it back to form. That works fine on JD 7-iron decks anyhow.