front porch expansion

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Nov 19, 2009.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Front porch expansion we've started and is almost complete. Top and step treads is flagstone.

The first picture is a before shot.

2. tturbonegro

tturbonegro LawnSite Member
    from nj

wow...looking good
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Thats something you don't usually see. We're doing something similar on our current project but more simple.
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How tall are those steps?
  5. DVS Hardscaper

just as you like it rusk-a-roni........8-inches
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

7. DVS Hardscaper

from the home owner: "not grand enough"

8. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I like the old ones better....
    how deep are they? 6"?
  9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I don't get it Andrew, there were 3 steps @ (looks like 7" or so ) to start with but you are now making 4 steps @ 8", is the grade of the walk going to change? I can't tell from your pic's, could you snap one 30' back or so?
  10. DVS Hardscaper

original steps were 8", not "6", not "7 or so". You can use the brick on the dwelling to gauge. The soldiers stand at 8". And the running bond consumes 3".

Reusing flagstone from pool coping, which is thicker, new steps will be either 7.5 or 8" risers.

new porch is pushed out many feet *further* from dwelling. (keyword: Further)

Top of existing driveway is a fixed grade x amount of inches below in elevation.

Since the new porch protrudes further from dwelling, and because the driveway is a lower elevation - an additional step is required.

The biggest problem faced is that Miss Utility (public utility locating service) incorrectly located the phone, cable, and electric lines. I ripped up the phone and cable and came about 1/2 an inch from yanking up the service line for the electric. Inproperly marked, off by say....oh, 10-feet. The electric had no caution tape in the soil. I say a hint of grey pearing through the soil and thought it was a rock. Luckily something in my mind made me stop.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009