Front tires keep digging in lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jay317, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jay317

jay317 LawnSite Senior Member

My front tires on my ztr keeps digging in the ground everytime I turn leaving holes in yards I'm puzzled and don't know what to do, one client has already called me and complained about it I'm really puzzled
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you just buy this mower? Has it always done this, or just started? Sounds like it's either too heavy on the front end, or maybe the casters aren't spinning freely.

3. jay317

I just bought this mower could it be too much air in the front tires
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Uhh...

Yeah, I guess...
    I find it a bit odd because I always have mine filled to Max.psi and sometimes more...
    But at some point if it's way over full, I would think it could definitely dig as you describe.

For another it is very possible that somewhere between manufacture and dealer assembly
    SOMEONE filled up the tires with WAY too much air, not really meaning to.

So I would go ahead and check it with a tire pressure gauge, then compare the
    reading to what it says on the sidewall of the tire.

Also have you greased all your zerks?
    No, not yours, the mower's :p
    It could be in dire need of grease.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. T.M. LAWNS

T.M. LAWNS LawnSite Senior Member

You should jackup the front of your mower and check both casters, make sure they move freely.

6. jay317

Yeah I got everything all greased up
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jay317

And what if they are not moving freely then what's the next step
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Regarding the tires themselves, I suspect underinflation would likely cause a problem more than overinflation. I suspect though, that it is simply because the front of your Z (you didn't mention make and model) is heavier than you've been used to. My newer Gravely's are much heavier in the front than my first one, a 2002 model. I'm assuming this is partially due to a shortening of the frame, and possibly also to make them safer on slopes.

One trick is to avoid stopping and then backing straight back, as this causes the casters to spin 180 degrees in one spot. If the soil is wet, or the grass thin, I try to "swing" the front when reversing, causing the front end to go in a semi-circle. This allows the tires to do the 180 over a couple of feet of ground, instead of in one spot. Takes a little longer, but not a lot. I mowed a property yesterday that is all shaded. Ground was still a bit wet, and the grass is extremely thin in many places. I used this technique, and didn't dig a hole anywhere, that I'm aware of.

Same principal as with the rear tires. If you spin on one, you are going to tear turf. Keep them both moving while turning, and damage is minimized. Hope this helps you out.

9. Grubrunner

Grubrunner LawnSite Member

Huh?

Please explain.

10. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm wondering the same thing myself?? I've never had a problem with the front tires. Now burning turf with the rear,,, yea!