1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Front tires

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rwreuter, Jul 21, 2013.

1. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

my front tires on my X-One have problems staying inflated....and it gets really annoying, perhaps the 12psi that i put in them isn't enough.

two questions, does anyone else have issues with the front tires staying inflated and if so what do you do to keep them from going flat?

POLL.......do you prefer the no flat caster tire(solid) over the inflatable tire? (BTW i have Flex Forks installed)

Thanks!!!

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

I'm bias so take my input with a grain of salt. I like flatfree. Everyone will say they feel like a tire with 14psi in them. Living up north they do get a little hard in the cold. The fact you have flexfork takes that issue completely out of the formula. I hate changing those little tires. buckthorns up here are nasty on those tires. we use slicks so they wont throw grass
    grass up but leaves little meat to handle the glass and thorns. Personally I would run the flatfree with the flexforks. Smooth ride with no flats.
    Why are you going flat could be a bead issue or a hole. need to spray some soapy water on the tires to see why you're flat.

Brian O

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have flex forks get the flat free tires. Or keep your tires and put Slime (or other) in them.
    You could also check your valves are good. Ive had to replace a few over the years. Just get a couple new ones and put them in.

4. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

not sure what the issue is, first it was the right front, now it is the left front. i slimed the left front and now it is fixed, i guess i could slime the right but it is getting old putting air in the tire.

flat free is an easy fix, i will never have to mess with them ever again. unless of course there are some draw backs to them that i am not aware of.....LOL

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Youve slimed the left, and fixed it. Why wouldnt you do the same with the right?
    May as well get some use out of them. Im pretty sure it will be cheaper than changing over to flat free.

6. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

it sure would make sense to slime the other.....it is just that changing it to the no flat would mean no more issues. the money isn't really an issue, for me the issue is the hassle of messing with the tire.

besides all of that, why should i even have a problem with it.......this is 9k machine and i don't believe i should be having a problem with tires that keep going flat, at least for no real reason.

just my 2 cents.

7. djk

djk LawnSite Member

I was having the same problem on my minifastrak. Raised air pressure to 20 psi and problem is gone. Can't say that I notice any difference in the ride. Like you I was thinking of going to solid tire but no need for that expense now since problem is fixed. Have been OK for at least 6 months.

8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Put more air in them. That seems to help. I have no flats on my smaller mower and it is a bit rougher ride but worth it i guess.... obviously never a flat on it.

9. LR3 Guy

LR3 Guy LawnSite Member

Flex forks and semi pneumatics rule ;-)