1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Front Weights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, May 6, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I read a thread here not too long ago about putting weights on the front of walkbehinds to keep the nose from popping up.

Well, here in Tennessee it is hill country, big time. So, I tried it.

It works great!!!!!!!!! :D

I have cut my mow time down considerably. I can go up hills faster without having to man handle the beast as much and I can make my turns a little faster as well. Furthermore, I can mow at a faster speed on level ground as well, because the small bumps and holes don't cause the nose to rise.

I do have a question however. I have only been doing this for a week or so and therefore, I have not used this in all types of turf conditions.

Are there any downsides to weighting the nose on a walkbehind?

My initial thought was, why didn't the manufacturer do this when the machine was built? They had to have known about this issue. Did they leave the nose light for a reason?

Thanks again for the great suggestions.
  2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Leaving the nose light makes it easier for you to lift the deck when necessary (loading onto certain trailers, going over curbs without scraping the deck on it, etc.). Not sure if the extra weight will affect mowing in wet conditions, as the front wheels are considerably smaller.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that some machines are made for different sized decks. My Toro could use 3 different decks and the adjustment for them is in the hydros. I also added extra weight in the front with a lead bar as well as foaming the caster tires. It was very easy to weight the front down and I made it look like it belonged there from the factory. Toro red!

Its here :

4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

So it hasn't affected your cut in any way?
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most mowers are pretty lite on the front. Only need the extra weight when using a sulky. Its an option on many brands, but you have to ask. Some of the dealers dont have a clue. :sleeping: On my Hustler WB we added the factory weight which is about 35 Lbs and it did make it a little slower to do a zero turn to keep from spinning the tires on wet turf.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

No problems with the cut at all. You tell me.

aug4 911.jpg