Front wheel caster spinning

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dtelawncare, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

On my Exmark, the left front wheel caster spins all the time. It seems that there is not enough weight on it all the time to keep it from spinning around. I have checked all the tires pressure and the mower cuts great. I have not noticed it to be uneven at all. I know it is possible, but does this mean my mower frame is twistedor warped???

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Could be, but first check and see if the flanged bearings inside the support are worn... What you do is lift the front of the mower and secure it in the air, then grab the fork and try to move it side to side and see if it has play in it. Because there's bearings (maybe bushings) up inside that support arm thing where the fork axle goes through (well that pin-holding thing dangit) that get worn and this causes wobble and I might guess in cases of severe wear, spin. You do grease them daily, yes?

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see if I can explain this enough, so that you can try it: Start with a perfectly level spot. On a concrete floor or a level spot in the driveway or even a wooden floor. MAKE SURE that the spot where the mower is is completely level. NOW, build a small "platform" of cement blocks, bricks or wooden cut-offs, making sure that this is also COMPLETEL level. NOW, get the mower up onto this platform, so that ONLY the deck is resting on the platform. MAKE SURE that all of the wheels are "dangling" in free space. Look at the deck: Is it level on all sides on your homemade level stand? If one corner is UP, the deck has a twist. If the deck is touching on ALL surfaces, there is something incorrect with the tires or tire pressure. Give it a try. This will determine which way you should turn to try and correct the problem. Let us know how you make out.

4. dtelawncare

Thanks Jim, I will look at what you said. the mower was bought new last Sept. I am part time now, just started things last July. I just really got going this spring. Mower only has about 75 hours on it. Also, if the deck is warped, should I make them replace it even if it cuts level??

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

dumb ? but did you check the air psi in the right rear tire i notice on one of my w/b the front will do that if the oppisite rear tire is as little as 5# low

6. dtelawncare

Clark, I have checked the tire pressure many times. I need to get a good pressure gauge. Recently I discovered the one I was using was not reading correctly. My tire pressure sensor light in my Tundra wouldn't go off until I used another guage. I will definately check the tires tomorrow afternoon.

7. jim dailey

I agree, fully. BUT, he states that the mower is practically new. If it was older, I would go along with your idea. Also, he is having trouble with his pressure gauge. Get a good guage and check all of the tires for proper inflation. Maybe a stupid idea...BUT...go around and read all of the tire sizes, and make sure that the correct sizes are on the machine. Spend a little time with it, and with all of these suggestion, you will stumble upon the solution. I REALLY hope that it is not the deck. If so, and confirmed, then it is time to go see the dealer. BUT, figure out the roblem BEFORE you go to the dealer. Let us know.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I got a 1998 Toro proline 30197 with who knows how many hours on it and I've done things to this machine that should've messed it up, and the deck has cracks in it but they are built like tanks and if mine works, yours should, too. You'd almost have to drop the mower from 10 feet up in the air to even try to damage it, so unless you flipped it end over end into a concrete ditch or it slammed into the front of the trailer as your truck hit a tree, I just don't see it. Yes I said it could be, but it is very, very unusual.

You might check and see if your control arm(s) are bent, those are the arms holding the fork which in turn holds the caster. Other than that, I am almost positive it is likely tire air pressure.

Come to think of it...
    If it's a floating deck, make sure all 4 pins (height settings) are in the same position all around the deck LOL
    If it's a fixed deck, also check all the height settings (both rear tires have settings with holes through which nuts and bolts go, the front casters are usually adjusted with washers) <- Check all this on a float as well.

9. dtelawncare

I give you guys a huge thanks for the veteran advice. I don't have any work lined up for the next three days and I am going to find what's going on with it.

10. jim dailey

Should you, a friend or a neighbor own a 4-foot carpenter's level, that would come in real handy. Start with figuring out a real level spot on the driveway or on some concrete, and go from there.