front wheel problem; help needed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rbig, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Need help. Ran head long into a very unexpected problem this morning.

For background, I was going to take my front wheels off and have new tires put on. Should be a piece of cake.

I have the same setup I've seen on many mowers: A snap ring retainer over the outer axle, with a washer behind it to hold the wheel assy on the axle.

First wheel came off slick. No problem.

I pulled the snap ring retainer on the other one, and removed the washer. The wheel assy won't come off the axle.

Wheel rotates normally, and has no bearing slop. But, it simply won't come off the axle.

I've put a heavy pry on it and tapped the wheel housing, while turning the wheel a few degrees at a time. No good.

So, what do I do now? I could take the whole thing off at the steering knuckle, but hate to do that just to get the wheel off. It is a solution, though.

Anyone else ever run into this problem, and what did you do to solve it?

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the axle come out? It might had a groove worn on one of the ends keeping it from sliding out.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

is the wheel not coming off the yoke or is the yoke not coming off the mower

4. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Thanks for inputs. Problem solved. I took the wheel/spindle/axle assy off and to a local shop. They have a big hydraulic press and got that wheel off.