1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Front Wheel Weights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Sep 20, 2001.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

When I am mowing with my lawn tractor on wet/damp grass on inclines(not very steep), The front wheels tend to slip a little if I turn to sharp.
    It's no big deal, just don't turn too sharp going uphill, but do front wheel weights help at all?
    I've seen 30lbs front weights before.
    Is it worth the money?
  2. Lawn Services

Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from DE

try front wieghts on front of the fram. Does your tractor have two brakes for either rear wheel you could use them to help stay on course :D
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Since I've had several Lawn Tractors, the weight will help some, but not cure the problem. I've had the smaller tractors without individual brakes and they are very hard to turn up hill. My last 2 JD's have had individual brakes and that is the only answer for turning up hill and it's still a pain to try to turn compared to a ZTR. If I had to go back to using a tractor to mow every day, I'd quit the business. I now hate them that much. ;)
  4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'de love to have a ztr, but don't have enough money for one yet, so until then, I am stuck with a tractor :-(

I think i will pass on the front weights--thanks for the advice