Front Wheel Yoke Weights for Exmark Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lbmd1, Sep 1, 2001.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got the newest Turf Magazine and in their ad for Exmark Z's\Collection sysytems, I noticed new wheel weights for the front yokes. They aren't the traditional across the yokes black bar weights, they are red in color and seperate from each other. Anyone else see them. I am looking for the part numbers for them to order for a new trac vac system I just purchased without weights. Thanks!

Mike

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We leave them off on our eXmark bagger.

I don't know if it's for everybody, but we find our Z's to be too front heavy and we do NOT want the extra weight up front-- too much turf skidding and poor down-hill control.

In fact, we added a weight to our NON-bagging machines in back to center the weight more on the drive wheels.

Word of Caution: they can get tippy when the hopper is full and you're climbing a steep hill, but the improved handling charateristics far outweight that!

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I guess I have the complete opposite thoughts as Kent Lawns. I feel you have to drive it with "kid gloves" without the front weights on and the bagger attached. It only takes about a half full hopper and the mower starts to get light in the front and bounces on the slightest bump, leaving marks in the lawn where it is shorter than what you would like. Making turns and bouncing at the same time causes the same effect. You have to go slow because the machine is not at all balanced. Any amount of incline and the front really dances around with how light it gets. I guess we all have our own thoughts on it though. I have a 60" Lazer with the 26 efi. Maybe different lazers and motor combinations have different results. Just my opinion though.
    As for answering your question though, the weights are not here in front of me so I don't know if they even have a part number on them. Obviously your eXmark dealer should have a number for them.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well i can take hills a lot better w wts. i dont bag so dont have to deal w that . im curious about wts. mentioned . right now i just use a logger chain on front casters. but its agrevating and im open to a simpler way . really havnt put much into it though.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

A little off subject but what do you w/b users use to weight down the front end so it dosn't wheelie so much, especially with a velkie attached ? Thanks.

6. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

It is no way way I would run without the weights my 27/60 lazer,It would not stay down in the front without them, believe me I've tried it.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

MIDSOUTH,

Do you have the Ultra-Vac? I will be getting one within the next week or so. I removed one of the three OEM plate weights and am thinking of removing one more (that leaves just one plate) for normal mowing. I have yet to do a wheelie. But when I go with the Ultra-Vac, MUST I re-install all the plate weights AND the caster weights?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone!

8. MIDSOUTH

Yes I have the ultravac with the 3 bags and when in wet grass mine will do a wheelie with the bagging unit full, all weights installed, dry grass and leaves no problem though. I like the weights because it will rare up on my hilly yards without them, I don't like that feeling. Your best bet would be to try them and see how it works both ways. By the way how much is yours costing, I paid 1475.00 for mine, I think I got a fairly good deal on it.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

MIDSOUTH,

That price thing was my next question!!! Was your price "installed"?

I think that it is impossible to wheelie over a Lazer with those "WAY-TO-LOW" wheelie bars (mule drive pulley support/guards). I'm always getting "hung-up" in ditches and sharp inclines. My wheelie bars hit when backing off the trailer! Thinking of cutting them off and making them at a 45 degree angle.

With just one plate off, I noticed a BIG difference with it just plowing down a hill.

With the bagger on, that would surely stop you from wheeling over backwards. But too light on the front end will make for a lousy cut with bouncing all over.

I'll let you know what my dealer quotes me. I NEED it, so hopefully he gives me a good price. After all, everyting on my trailer is from him!

10. MIDSOUTH

That price was installed, However I bought it at the same time as I bought the mower 8125.00 for the mower,330.00 for the suspension seat,41.00 for for the deck lift assist, and 1475.00 for the ultravac,I feel he treated me fairly. The mower on alamia was 1000.00 more dollars than he sold it to me for.. I don't think I would angle the wheelie bars, that is my sense of security when it does rare up. You will like the ultravac, it only takes 1 minute to remove the blower and tube to discharge, just be careful turning you can do some damage with that swinging around behind you. Also if you are going to use it on commercial areas where there is a bunch of trash on the ground use mulching blades and it will not blow the trash out the front when you are approaching it, it will just suck it up, however with the mulching blades the tube will clog in thick wet grass.