1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Front wheels wobble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIMOW525, Jun 10, 2002.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I have a new JDztrak. when I run it full tilt on stones on pavement, the front wheels wobble back and forth BADDLY. the wheel on the right usually is first. I checked the air pressure in both wheels and they are the same. I didn't check the rear wheels yet. I have had my scag z for 4yrs and have run with 1 flat tire on the front so I'm a little stumped.
  2. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

Sounds like the front wheel arms arm not perpendicular to the ground. This happens to old shopping carts in the same way-like its resting the weight on the inside or outside of the tire, and not the middle. Just a thought.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I am fairly certain the problem lies with the rear tires air pressure. I'll bet they are 3-5 lbs. off. This same thing happens to my Dixie all the time since one of the back tires has a slow leak. Every other day now I check the rear tires pressure.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like a solid answer . and an answer to something ive not previously known.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the same problem on my hustler super z. i will check the air pressure in the rear tires. i checked the front and they were good.
  6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I took the machine to the dealer and come to find out they didn't tighten the bolt that hold the casters in place. Bearings and seats were blue after 5hrs. 10 min repair and all is well. God I love warranties!!
  7. fastcut

fastcut LawnSite Member

My Super Z does the same thing.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Different ZTR's have different caster geometrys. My old JD F-935's had this problem at high speeds on blacktop.

Make sure the caster arm isn't tweaked or bent.

It "shouldn't" do this, but it will never hinder your mowing ability, just your transport speed.
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same problem. Realized I bent the anti scalp roller on a manhole cover. So the roller took the weight off the wheels.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

John Deere has never had enough throw on the castor yoke. They try on some mowers to use a dingleberry spring which only results in the wheel turning sideways when backing. They run about 10 degree throws, when it really requires about 30-35 degrees for us people out mowing. They test their eqipment on flat ground evidently