frontmount

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ggordon, May 17, 2006.

1. ggordon

ggordon LawnSite Member

Has anyone gone from a frontmount to a midmount deck, only to regret it later? Hustler's latest promo has me looking at a sz66" when all this time I thought I'd buy a frontmount grasshopper to get under my pine trees and for ease of deck maintenance. I have 5ac. and a few hills.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Many people have and many municipal customers have also.
    There is a adjustment period, but in the end you will still get the job done quicker.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's weird going from front mount to mid, that's all i can say. Frontmount has spoiled me.

4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to call you on this one. You mow based on grass/ground conditions - not transport speed.

Let say that all things are equal - same conditions, same size deck, same engine. Just how is the Hustler midmount deck going to mow a rolling 5 acre lot faster than a Grasshopper frontmount?

I have a feeling that you are going to compare a your new 66" deck to a Grasshopper 61" deck. Yes, a 66" deck will beat a 61" deck. But that comparison does not hold water if the original poster was considering a Grasshopper 72" deck. This is why I like to be fair when I compare stuff and make comments on which is "quicker".

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would compare the same size deck and engine of course.
    But the Hustler will mow it quicker, mowing (not transport) speed is going to be faster with the Hustler.
    More stable ride at the faster cutting speeds also, no mower bucking or deck bouncing in front of you.
    We have proven this against our own front mounts in the past, not just other brands.
    Zero turning (quicker) vs rear steer also, of course I am talking the typical front mount, not a zero turn front mount like the Grasshopper.

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would put my 61" "22hp" 722D2 against ANY mid-deck of any deck size. I will out run it, out cut it and a smoother ride. Guaranteed!

7. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Ride is better, and cut is better. Blade speed is a good reason for being able to mow faster too. Not sure what a GH is...

gps_jetskier

8. hawkguy

hawkguy LawnSite Member

ggordon:

You know your land better than any of us who live in other states. Test-drive the machines of equal horsepower and deck width on your property (comparing apples for apples). After a little seat time, you'll know which machine maneuvers best in your application.

With a frontmount grasshopper, you'll find how easy it is to fold up the deck for maintenance and easy storage. That's all I run.

9. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

The original post listed Grasshopper. Grasshopper only makes ZTRs - not rear steer units. Again, always compare apples to apples to be fair.

Hopefully, Hustler will have more attachments for their commercial rated mowers soon (this past winter, you could only get a snowblower for the residential model).

What is "mower bucking"? One of my mowers is similar to a Grasshopper (a Woods F-25) and I have no idea what what you mean (And I have been using commercial units since the 80's).

The original poster also mentioned that he had pine trees to mow around/under. A midmount will mow "around" the tree, but leave more grass to be weedwacked.

I will stand by this statement. If I am on a Grasshopper mowing this 5 acre tract VS someone else on a Hustler that has the same exact specs, we will both "finish the job" at the same time if we are both providing a quality cut and weedwacking any missed areas.

10. ggordon

ggordon LawnSite Member

What about the flip up deck? I know they make jacks for the midmounts but
    don't most of those just raise the front about 15 to 20 inches and you'r still
    on your back scraping grass and dirt? can you raise the hustler any higher in
    front, maybe with a hoist and chain without hurting anything?