Frost Damage centipede & st augustine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenThumb11, Apr 1, 2014.

1. GreenThumb11

GreenThumb11 LawnSite Member

Anybody else seeing damage in the southeast?

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours is still dormant here, but it is a concern with the single digit temps we had this winter. We should see some green-up later this month.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Whereabouts? Centipede is still dormant in SC and St. Augustine is a little ahead. It will green up about the end of the month. If not showing, let me know. A photo will help a lot.
    Give it some time for the soil to warm. Centipede is the first to go dormant and the last to green up.
    We had a tremendous ice storm that broke down a lot of the Live Oaks which will take a year to clean up but not any turf die back as I can see so far, but here again, it is early.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

81 degrees today. Still nothing but weeds growing ie clover, crab grass etc. Weeds taking over entire lawns

5. GreenThumb11

I'm in the destin,fl area. Centipede is first to go dormant and first to green up. St Augustine will be mostly green until November or so. I have notice it's in our low lying areas more so than well drained or higher areas. I will upload picture tomorrow at while I'm at office.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Have you stuck your finger in the soil lately ? It's still cold , no matter what the air temp is this week. When the soil temp heats up you will see some green up. Centipede and st aug have seen single digit temps before. Just don't fert dormant grass. Good luck

7. GreenThumb11

Please don't make me out to be a rookie. Stolons are 100% dead in areas. I understand winter is still lingering. But now that we have had a few weeks of turf coming out you can see a lot of yards with frost damage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Both grasses are coming out here. Haven't seen any damage from the cold. In the early 80s we hit 0. There was a lot of damage to shrubs and turf then.

9. Fallen Oak

Fallen Oak LawnSite Member

Yes, we have a lot of frost damage here in the southwest corner of Ga.

The ones I just sprayed, really look bad. I tell the owner this will happen and they say they want the weeds gone. I can't just stop and wait for full green-up, we may have another frost. The henbit is very bad this year. The grass will pull through.

420 Deere

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I am in central Arkansas. I am at the northern reaches of St. Aug/Centipede for this state.

I am seeing lots of winter damage/death of both. Dead stolons and rhizomes are hard to miss.(Unless you are in fact a "rookie")

Besides the cold, customers generally mow it at the same height as their Bermuda/Zoysia. Another factor leading to winter kill...

Sometimes I must treat 3-4 types of grass in one lawn.