1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Frost in the ground

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ralphccs, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ralphccs

ralphccs LawnSite Member

In a couple of weeks I have to dig a small footing for an addition.

There is a 3 -5 inches of frost in the ground right now...

I know if you cover the ground with hay it would cut down on the ground freezing but the ground is already frozen.

My question is if I put hay down now on the ground and keep it there until I start the job...Would the frost in the ground be reduced or just stay the same?

The temp in the area ranges from the teens to 30's and this area getting little sun.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

is this hand digging? if so good luck bud!! hay is ok the best if get a few concrete blankets. there around 25 bucks a piece those work the best because they will absorb the heat from the sun. hay is not that good unless you put down large quantities but the it make a mess blows all over the place. if you feel like driven down to greenwich i could loan ya a few blankets
  3. ralphccs

ralphccs LawnSite Member

I have a Cat 304 C excavator...I know I can break thru a few inches of frost...

I'm not sure about if I have more than that...

What type of store did you get the concrete blankets?

Thanks for the advice.

4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

united rentals will have them or a store in stamford called A.H. Harris
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

If you really need to get the job done, look into a ground heater. Many rental places rent them. They are a trailer with a big reel of hose. You lay out the hose on the ground (about 18" apart for excavation) in a back and fourth pattern. The unit then heats a liquid and circulates it. You cover the hoses with insulated blankets. A few hours and you are ready to go.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Worst case senerio you can bust the frost out of the ground with an air hammer.