Frost kill on hydrseeding? Am I in trouble?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by felonius, Apr 9, 2007.

1. felonius

felonius LawnSite Member

About two weeks ago I had 6 acres of woods that were recently cleared for pasture hydroseeded. The area was gone over thoroughly with a Harley rake to prepare the seedbed, a mixture of fescue and bluegrass with lime and fertilizer was applied, then covered with a layer of blown-on straw and some tackifier.

The property is in central Virginia, and the first week after hydroseeding the weather was pretty typical - highs in the 60's to 70's and lows in 40's to 50's at night. Only about about a half an inch of rain fell during this period. Then this unusually late cold spell hit. The past three days have seen near record lows from 32 down to 28 degrees, with probably two more days of cold to come. Is this change likely to have done permanent damage to my hydroseeding effort and/or killed off much of the grass? I am concerned as the hydroseeding was a considerable investment - $1,800 an acre for over $10,000 in total cost.

Should I be worried?

2. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

only be slightly concerned it the grass has germinated. Is there grass growing there yet?

3. felonius

felonius LawnSite Member

I had to leave town for work, so don't know if anything has germinated yet. Will check. I guess I'm fine if everything is still dormant, but what if there is germination? Are new seedlings very succeptible to kill by a 4-5 days with nights below freezing?

4. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

yes, if there are new seedlings, there may be some damage. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet though. odds are, most of the seed is still waiting to pop, and will be fine.

5. felonius

felonius LawnSite Member

Just called and they had 2 inches of snow two days ago! Very unusual weather for this area this time of year. Maybe the combination of snow and the straw cover will help insulate the seedlings?

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I would not be concerned. Grass is resilient (sp?). If it was prepped properly you should be fine. Post some pics and keep us informed.

7. felonius

felonius LawnSite Member

Will post some pics as soon as I get back there. Thanks to all for the help and advice. I really appreciate it. One positive thing is that the guy doing the hydroseeding gave a 90 percent germination guarantee (to be honest, how I would measure this is beyond me), with an offer to respray/overseed at cost if I get poor results due to weather.