1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

frost on the ground this morning.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Oct 19, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

today is the official transition period from cutting to fall clean ups. anyone else experience frost yet?

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Not today but it was friggin cold when i got up this morning
  3. Frost on the windshields here, none on the grass in SW Ohio.
    Just finished fall broadleaf weed control. Looks like just in the nick of time too.
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Got our first frost on August 12th. Been having frost nearly every morning since then.
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Frost was here this morning for the first time. I temped the soil at 26.4 degrees with my temp gun at 7am. Everything else around was about 40 degrees.
    This is my first season cut lawns. What is the kicker that throw's the grass into dormancy? Is it the first frost? Will the grass grow anymore once that first frost hits? I always thought it was the soil temp that stops the growth, that and lack of water of course.
  6. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

There's been frost here Friday morning, Saturday morning, and this morning.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

We had a frost here on Oct. 16. (only once) Temps were about 34 degrees. It didn't damage any plants that I have seen though. The leaves didn't start coming down any faster either. Until we get a good freeze, most things are uneffected.

We have also had RAIN, lots and lots of rain. All this moisture is going to make the trees hang on to their leaves till the bitter end, and most will drop slowly too, meaning I'll have to be out there doing clean-ups till Christmas! Uggg... Wish it would be like last year and just be DRY for a month.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

grass does continue to grow after the first frost. its just for me, when the frost comes i know the grass cutting is about done and its time for me to get into fall clean up mode. time to hit the advertising for fall clean ups.
  9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

close but no cigar here for frost. next week will be real slow for me as it is cold enough to slow the growth to 2 weeks for a cut. I begin my leaf maintenance mode. Either I skip trimming and edging and replace that time with mulching up leaves while cutting lawn or I add the extra fee if trimming is necessary. The more time it takes the more it costs IMO. My biggest question is will some people skip leaf cleanups like they did aeration this season to save some $..? As I understand it a hard frost , soil temperature, and the hours of daylight all contribute to trigger dormancy in cool season grass.
  10. karlgrooms

karlgrooms LawnSite Member

Spotty frost and 33 degrees here in WNC. The trees kept my lawn frost free. Every thing looked unharmed but it's to early to tell. It supposed to get even colder tonight.