frost on the ground

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Minnesota, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Minnesota

Minnesota LawnSite Member

should a person mow with frost on the ground

or will it be to hard on the grass
  2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I never worried about it. By the time that I got to town and trimmed the first lawn the only place there was ever frost was in the shaded areas. I couldn't tell any difference.

I see this was your first post, welcome to LS. :drinkup:
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In 8 years of professional mowing, I have never seen any detriment of mowing any areas that have frost.

Frankly at this time of the year, it isn't much a big diff from having dew on the grass in the morning.
  4. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

OK let a MN boy answer this one those guys have never spent a season up here in MN. its alright to cut grass that has frost on it. i was doing it last week. and yes it was still there after i finish not the triming on the first lawn but after the triming on the third and i started at 8 o'clock am. so don't worry about it just worry about those old ladys in there bath towels yelling at ya. eeww
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Since this is my first fall with the big heavy mower I thought I'd resurrect this thread...based on the few replies to it, does not seem to be a problem mowing early AM on top of frost?? conern is damaging the grass and having big old brown tire tracks a few days from now...while golf courses make us stay off the delicate greens when theres frost, I do believe running an 800 llb wide tire mower over heavy frost is not a good thing is it? Have to get out very early this morning and we're supposed to have our first killing frost...and tonight and tomorrow more heavy rain...whew....the weather is so weird....hope this post helps others with the same question..thanks
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like if its a heavy frost, driving any mower and even walking on it would break the grass blades.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't fret the frost, snow is forecast for Thursday.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

We had a very light frost on the ground this AM so I waited until later in the day to begin mowing. I didn't want to take any changes. I would tend to think it could be harmful to the grass but that is just my opinion.