Frost?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NelsonLandworks, Sep 14, 2004.

1. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

Do you guys mow when the grass has a pretty good frost going? It's getting to be that time of year and I'm a bit curious (being my first year) about what goes on with frost. Thanks!
    Wes

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If its a heavy frost i wont mow it untill the sun has melted it off.It usually doesnt take that long.If its just spotty i would mow.Ive seen people walk across a lawn with heavy frost and within a couple days there was foot prints of dead grass so i doubt a heavy mower would be good.

3. guystevenl

guystevenl LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yeah, If you drive-mow on a heavy frost the grass will actually be an almost black color the next day. A light frost is usually fine, though make sure as you mow your tires are pick up moisture and stay wet and not dry from the frost. Well that's my rule of thumb. Either way once sunlight hits it it -usually- doesen't take long for it to clear.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know that come fall, we usually can't start until 10am because of the frost and the leaves frozen to the ground

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

When I used to work at a golf course. You would get an ass chewing if you went off the cart path in the morning if there was frost. I wouldn't cut any lawn that has frost on it. Just wait. Good part is you can sleep in.

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes,I do agree...

7. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

thanks a lot for the info guys! we've had a few frosts the last few days, we waited until the sun hit the lawn to start just in case-now i'm glad we did! Thanks again
    wes