1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Frothy Oil (pics)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Apr 11, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

My 260Z has the 26 HP Liquid Cooled Kawi. Within the first week of owning it I noticed that I had to add antifreeze a couple of times to keep it in the safe range.

I told the dealer this and I took it there and they tore the engine down and did a pressure check and whatever else. They told me that there was no leak and no problems and sent me on my way with a $400 bill which I fought tooth and nail and didn't end up having to pay. They said that this issue is normal from pressure in the coolant lines. I asked them why they didn't tell me this before tearing it down and they had no answer.

Today, I changed the oil for the first time since they worked on it and I noticed a froth film in the dipstick tube and on the bottom of the dipstick. The oil looked normal when I drained it though.

The pictures that I am posting are after I changed the oil and let it run for about 20 minutes.

Do you think that this is just from a little bit of antifreeze that they got in there when they tore it down or do you think I have an issue?

Here are the pics, thanks for the help.

Frothy Oil 003.jpg

Frothy Oil 004.jpg

Frothy Oil 005.jpg
  2. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Sorry the pics are blurry, you can see it on the end of the stick if you look closely.
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Not positive but i have heard thats water that may burn off with time, i would just change the oil and filter and see where that gets you.
  4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You've got trouble. If it looks like really light chocolate milk (about the color of your girlfriend's cappucino) you have water in your oil. That will also explain the froth. If it's still under warranty take it back to where you bought it with fresh oil in it and let 'em try and talk their way out of it. If they do, call the manufacturer.
  5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

It could just be condensation from sitting over winter I know that is a common problem in older tractors, if thats the case than the oil change should take care of it. Either way take it to the dealer just to safe.
  6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I would say water also.

Drain, fill and keep an eye on it.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You changed the oil and let it run for 20 minutes and it still looks like that? I think you have a problem. Im not sure how the liquid cooled engines are designed. If its like a car engine there are only 1 of 3 ways water could get into the oil.

1. Cracked block
    2. Blown head gasket
    3. Leaking intake manifold

Do you have any mechanic friends? Does the liquid cooled engines have a radiator cap like a car? If so then have somebody you know use a pressure tester. Pump it up and leave it sit for a while and if the pressure does not seap down then you should be good. If it does then you have a problem.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Take it back to the dealer now. The longer you wait the harder it will be to cover, especially if it siezes. Don't change the oil, just take it in so they can see that your not full of BS.
  9. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

The dealer did the tear down last fall, so I didn't really use it much after that. I am probably going to top off the antifreeze and mow with it next week and closely monitor everything.

I'll keep you posted.
  10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

if you start seeing white smoke coming out or it starts smelling sweet you probably have a bad head gasket