Frozen base rock installed, now what?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mirrorlandscapes, Jan 16, 2013.

1. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

Thank you! Definitely lesson learned and thankfully without much damage other than some pride...which never hurts to lose a little of.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

You seem level headed and aware. I don't know of any contractor I have ever met that doesn't have a horror story or 10 about learning very basic things the hard way (and costing themselves a lot of money in the process). No matter your level of education, inexperience in certain areas will often times slap you around. The great part is you learned a lesson you will never repeat. It's going to happen, roll with the punches and move on with a smile on your face.

3. mirrorlandscapes

Lol i have my share :) failure is the best teacher
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think the job will be okay. You said you removed the frozen layer of soil on day 2. Then you put down stone. Then you removed the frozen layer of stone the next day. If you never installed stone on frozen ground you will be fine. The key to winter work is get the base in and level before it freezes. Doing as little as covering an area with a tarp can prevent frost.

5. mirrorlandscapes

Should have been more clear. Dug out base on day 1 and had base rock in piles waiting to be installed. everything froze overnight (unless geotextile kept subbase from freezing). Broke the piles of rock up and installed unfrozen rock probably on frozen ground. :( never checked under geo. Tarp would have been great idea thanks :) i didnt think that would prevent freezing. I'll know for next time
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I tried to mess with him and he took it all in stride :)
    Posted via Mobile Device