frozen clutch

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Jan 30, 2007.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a older Asplundh wood chipper with a Ford striaght six engine. To get it running I had to replace the fuel pump, do some fabrication on the chip blower, etc. I had it running and warmed up and started to engage the hand clutch slowly. It went in and all was well. I went to disengage and it wouldn't go. The hand lever moves slightly and the shaft to the throwout bearing is lubricated and fine. I can really push on the lever to disengage the clutch and I can stop the drum from turning, but it won't stay disengaged. The clutch is acting like it is stuck engaged. Any thoughts, other than totally dismantling the clutch assy? This bargain I bought is becoming more of a chore than anything!!!
  2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

You may as well start tearing it apart, we had to replace the clutch in ours 2 years ago. It is fun to get apart, especailly if it has been sitting for a while. We have a 95 Woodchuck chipper and it has the Ford 300 6 cyl on it as well.
  3. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Can you elaborate as to what the "fun" part is. I am not looking forward to it if that helps!!! Especially since the weather is looking like 3-5" snow for tomorrow and the temp. not getting above 30 for the next week.
  4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

If it has been setting the flywheel might be rusty enough that the clutch is dragging.If you coudl run it chipping, maybe it will loosen up.Might have to start it in gear .

My old tractor drags some when i leave it set for quite awhile,also had a old pickup do the same from rust on the flywheel.They both came out of it after running them awhile.

Check and see if you have any freeplay.Some one might have the clutch adjusted to tight.Good luck