1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

frozen grass and spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i was going to start my lime apps. starting 2/1 but due to the frozen turf i feel that i would do more damage with the spreader tire tracks then good..
    what your feelings?

i am going to wait till this front passes here on the east coast before i start..:usflag:
  2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd wait. I saw today that the temps are going to 40+ by valentines day week. Dam cold here today, I think the high by me was 8 not counting the wind gusts.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm glad you posted this. How early is tooo early for lime. I'm dying here. Supposed to be 18* tonight!
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sock it on. If the grass is brown--no harm done. If green, it surely is dormant, no problem, in my opinion. But...if the grass has started to grow and THEN you get a frost--stay off! You can get serious "frost tracks" damage. If you are making frost tracks, the grass sounds like you are breaking thousands of glass needles.
  5. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

If the turf is frozen, stay off of it. Period. You're right to be concerned about injury to the crowns. You can certainly lime when the turf is dormant (in fact, you can even put it down a little heavier with less risk when it's dormant) but if the crowns are frozen, you'll break them as you're pushing the spreader.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Stay off of it if it's frozen. You will see the tire tracks and footprints in the spring if you do an app now.