Frozen herbicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING, Mar 12, 2008.

1. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Looked at some labels of products, but couldn't find an answer. If herbicide such as 3-way is frozen, does it hurt it's chemical makeup, or make it unstable/unusable? I found the highest temp to store it at, but couldn't find the lowest??

Anyone know for SURE?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It has happened to me with 3 way. I risked using it anyway,and it worked. Now, as for as effectiveness, I can't answer for exactly, but I mixed it at label rate, and and worked fine. Glyphosate did the same. I make sure it doesn't freeze now, though...not a good practice.

3. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Ditto, had two trucks Saturday that had 150 gal each of triplet, simazine, glyphosate, and barricade mix in them. Once we got some warm temps and they "unfroze" we were off spraying. Looked at a couple we did last Sat. and this morning, the broadleafs are starting to curl. My only concern is what effect if any it has on the simazine and barricade.

Our temps got down to 16deg last Friday night. When we were finishing up Friday evening, our tips were freezing up on us, so we had to shut down sooner than expected. It dropped 18 deg within 45mins!! Hopefully all treatments will be effective.

As a rule, we try not to let anything freeze, but sometimes you just can't help it.

John..

4. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

I agree, not a good policy. It is important to agaitate the product well after the freeze/thaw, as the freezing will tend to precipitate the different compounds, and they will probably never go back to the exact original state.

However, I have had to do this several times with different products, and have had no bad results, some diminsihed effects perhaps, but I just mixed at the labeled rates and went ahead, then make sure you go back in 10-14 days to check on the restuls.

GC

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had half a drum of a three way product stored all winter in an unheated shed. Temp got down to about 5 above. No problems resulted next spring. None of my storage is heated.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good thread guys - I had some Trimec get slushy on me last Dec before I brought it inside and wondered if it would be any good. Sounds like it should be ok....

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I recently spotted some data from the Lesco Eliminate herbicide MSDS sheet.

It said something like, "store above 32 degrees. Freezing will not alter product. If it freezes--remix before use."

Same wording is on the Three Way Selective MSDS sheet.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the msds most of the time will give the freez/boil point of the product..

i was inspected last summer by the indian state chemist (there the ones that govern the LCO's) and had my products in a non-heated storage shed. he was cool about it because it was 80 outside. but he told me if he came back in sub-freezing temps, that he would write me up. he took a few minutes with me and we went thru my lable/msds book and we found that ALL of the liquid productd that i had, said keep from freezing or simular wording. like he told me, wether they freeze or not, the lables the law period.