1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Frozen plow connectors

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cut-rite, Jan 23, 2001.

1. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

Does anybody have a solution to the problem of hydrolic plow connectors freezing in the colars? It seems every time I put on my plow I have to get the tourch to thaw the connectors.
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

You just found the best remedy, a torch. I use a propane one, my brother uses a pocket torch. He keeps one with him all winter. He uses it to thaw locks on his snow mobile trailer too. In fact, last time he went to the Tug Hill area, he brought a whole case of them with him, and sold them in 10 minutes.

3. Mac

Mac LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Use A Graphite lube I find it helps.
  4. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Fisher Minute Mount. End of problem.

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

When you disconnect them, spray them with WD40. Have done it for years and never had to break out the tourch.

6. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

My locks froze on my truck doors during the last storm. The old pocket torch worked miracles. I have used it on my plow connectors plenty of times.

UNCLE BOB LawnSite Member

w-d 40 or silicon spray works for me
  8. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys if your at home just use hot water always works.If not the other stuff has wored for me too but not as good.
  9. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

generally before a storm i'll put a little oil on connectors. that usually takes care of promblem, or mount plow early. be careful not to scare storm away. my father used to say i'll go put the plow and chains on and scare the snow away.
  10. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

WD40 ,starting fluid,brake cleaner,all do a nice job,the starting fluid and brake cleaner melt the ice but evaporate really quick. All of these also work great in the closed environment of a truck cab when left so that the nozzle bumps in to a solid item when stopping hard provides a plowing experience thats hard to beat.