1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Frozen PTO Lever on 1951 Ford 8N

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Andyinchville, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hi All,

I have a 1951 ford 8n tractor that worked fine about a year ago.....we haven't had to use it for about 9 months (sits outside....no shed)...it started and ran fine BUT we could not move the lever to engage the PTO what could cause this?....Is there an easy fix....could the clutch adjustment have something to do with this (the clutch seems fine....holds well but does tend to engage a little higher on the top of the pedal travel (possibly could use a slight adjustment to grab a little earlier but I don;t think it slips)...Also, would spraying PB or WWD 40 where the lever goes into the tractor help?....If we removed the bolts around the lever and attempted to remove the plate where the lever come out will gear fluid run out or is the level not that high?
    (all fluids look OK and are at the proper levels).
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
  2. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

There is a slide or fork inside that moves on a shaft that engages or disengages the PTO. this has be come rusty from condensation over the non use months. although the oil level is correct. Due to not running and the shaft getting sloshed with oil it has rusted up on you, It will have to come apart to clean and remove the rust. A start up and engagement once a month is what I recomend. good luck.
  3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a exploded diagram of the tractor so please forgive my ignorance but by removing the cover that surrounds the shift lever will I be able to access the shift fork?....Would driving the tractor around without the PTO running spash oil onto the fork and hopefully free it up or is opening it up and spraying PB blast on it the only way to free it up?....I suppose
    tapping the shift lever with a large hammer is a no no?
    Thanks again!