fruit flys

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vaacutabove, Oct 15, 2012.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same problem a few months ago, kitchen was totaly clean and couldn't shake the bastards, I did the boiling water trick to all drains in house as well, i ended up taking a solo cup filled 1/4 way with balsamic vinagar, took some seran wrap and covered the opening of the cup,put an elastic band around it to keep it tight. then poked a bunch of holes in the seran wrap, This took care of them in a few days.

I made 3-4 of the cups and put em all over the kitchen. to kill em faster.

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

What goldpro said!

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

If they are fruit flies, they will feed on food and stay around any moisture. A small glass of wine seems to attract and kill them as long as there is no other food source.

4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to mention a similar mix. I use apple cider vinegar - about 4 tablespoons (Braggs of course), a splash of water, and a squirt of liquid dish soap. Put it in a cup of your choice....I use a small mason jar. Put your hand over the top or sqrew on the lid......Then shake it up as foamy as you can. Reshake when the bubbles have dissapated. They fly in and can't see the bubbles. I have tried the seran wrap also, and find this way works better for me.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I thought I had Posted that Vinegar is a well know Spider Repellent and therefore I believe it might work on Drain flies. Vinegar also helps to eliminate Odors and Smoke. I keep a pan of Vinegar in my AC return to help keep my house fresh.