Fruit tree pruning and lawn fertilizer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Sep 8, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.. I have 2 question here guys,

1) When are you able to prune fruit tree's? late nov, early feb?

2) If there is a fruit tree in the middle of the lawn, are you able to eat the fruit even though you fertilize the lawns?

ie) I have a customer that asked me if its okay to eat the fruits that the fruit tree has when it lands on the lawn. But suppose you fertilizer the lawns 3-5 times a year and the fruits land on the lawn, are you able to eat it without being sick?

;) ;) ;)

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Fruit trees are generally trimmed when they are dormant. for me and my area, I do them in late Jan - late Feb. As far as eating fruit from a fertilized lawn - Do you eat veggies from a garden that has been fertilized with manure? There should be no problems eating fruit that has fallen on a fertilized lawn. However, if the lawn has had a recent app of a pesticide, I would just wash the fruit of and enjoy!

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

You can prune fruit trees anytime, but if you are cutting more than one inch diameter wood the word I got from a second generation fruit peddler is at least 30 or 45 days of freezing weather, i.e. the sap is down.