Fruit trees n Japanese beetles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, May 24, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning my attack this year against Japanese beetles. I've got several fruit trees in my charge (apple, pear, peach) that have been decimated in past years by the winged beasts, but this year will be different.

What's the best method to A) prevent the infestation and/or B) to kill 'em once they've arrived?

Thanks in advance!

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If they are non-bearing fruit trees, deep root them with Merit. Otherwise I've had good luck with Talstar.

3. eruuska

No, these are bearing trees. Talstar, eh? I'll check it out. Thanks!

4. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Commercially, fruit trees are sprayed at regular intervals with both fungicides and insecticides. Nice, pretty fruit without blights, spots, or insects are really unnatural and a lot of work.

Typically, spraying with a fungicide like captan starts as soon as leaf buds start to swell early spring. Spraying is suspended when flowers start to bloom.

An insecticide (malathion or diazanon are common) is added to the mix after flower petals drop. The usual spray schedule is every 7 to 10 days for apples and pears. And every 10-14 days for stone fruits like peaches, and cherries.

If you are having problems with beetles, switch to carbaryl (sevin) and captan instead. But don't spray carbaryl until 3 weeks after pedals drop. Carbaryl can cause fruit to drop from the branch if sprayed to early in apples and pear.

Stop spraying about a week before harvest, check product label for harvest interval.

There are pre-packaged fruit sprays that include a fungicide and insecticide already to go. For a small number of trees these make sense. Just be sure not to spray anything with carbaryl right after flowers drop off.

Since rain washes off the insecticide, I also spray after rain.

5. broske

broske LawnSite Member

Bt might work for you.

6. eruuska

Upid,

Which Talstar do you use? A quick perusal of the labels at lesco.com shows that Talstar is for lawn and ornamental use. I saw no reference to fruit-bearing trees. Did I miss something? :hammerhead:

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sorry about the bad info. Used it on some flowering crab apple (I ate some as a kid, does that make them fruit trees??) with good results. I know it will kill the japanese beetles, but it's not labeled, so you can't use it. I am guessing you will hafta use sevin or something like that.