Frustrated Over Lowballers Als

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Going Commercial, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

I finally got the chance to meet with the property owner of a small business after 2 months of being persistant to discuss weekly mowing. I already knew that I would bid this property at $70.00 per cut. I asked him what he was looking for, the cheapest price or quality service? He told me he was looking to stay at the same price that he was paying his service last year. I was frustrated to say the least when he showed me his contract from last year for $45.00 per cut. The same company bid the same amount again this year. The owner also showed me 3 other proposals that were $60, $70, and $70. I will be submitting my bid, as a professional because I have work close by but I am sure he is going with the cheapest, same company as before. I run a 2 man crew with two 60 inch ztrs, a 48 inch stander, and push mowers on trailer. I am not new to this business.

It amazes me how these guys think they can make money. I can not blame a property owner for trying to get a fair, competitive rate for good service. My frustration and anger is towards the guys who are ruining this industry by offering services at non-competitive rates. When I see 3 proposals ranging from $60-70 from expierienced, insured, and professional companies I ask the $45 company " Are you proud to be a lowballer or just not educated enough to be in this industry "?

It feels good to vent and let it out!

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Yeah that sucks! This was my first year putting some bids out on commercial properties and Im sure Im up against the same crap. I havent heard anything from any commercials and there is not much time left before the season starts.

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

they must be making something, cause' they're back again this year AND didn't raise their rates. If they weren't making money, then they'd be OUT or raising their prices....

4. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

the lowballer term is used very loosely here....

the reason the bids are not all the same is that people charge differently. peoples worth, or time/money value is different than what might work for you. he may be a lowballer to you because his bid is almost half of yours... but he still may be making money. Lord knows that I wouldnt be at that cheap of a rate.

It does suck.
    Sorry bro

All you can do is smile and submitt your bid. And hopefully you will get the call one day, and that you can showcase your skills. professionalism always wins in the long run. usually.

sometimes.

5. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

I just wanted to add that the company I consider to be the LOWBALLER is in his 2nd year of business. I know most of his equipment was purchased new. He has probably not seen many breakdowns or felt the reality of their cost to fix them. Most of us in my area are not raising prices due to the economy.

6. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had my equip. for ten years now... so yeah...I just dropped about 500.00 just on spring maintanance....

7. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe less over head??2men canrun 2 mowers, makes sence to me. I have alot of mowers but i dont drive them all around at the same time.
    Dont bash just my 2 cents>>>>
    I learned the "term Lowballers" from this site after hearing everyone complaining about them. I know longer look at them as lowballers i just think that they are there to remind me to stay inline. They are now competition to me. Why make such a big deal about them, if you do great work and are professional,work will come. Just because you didnt get that job doesnt mean you wont get a gravier one a few days from now. I am not defending them in any means but they will learn to be competive or they will be gone.. I lost 2 this week to them but i just got a call from a clinic that has 23 sites, that is how it works and how fast you learn to forget the little ones and go get the big ones. Relax the guy was price shopping..

8. bock

bock LawnSite Member

Ugh i hear ya.. I lost a 20K account over the previouse years company going in and undercutting me. Its not just the small guys doing it! These larger companies in my area are doing it too! I even did all the snow removal work for this account and you would think I would have a foot in the door!

9. what i have learned is that there is a market for everyone. do you want a price shopping customer? i understand the frustration, but like others have said, the work will def come.

10. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

Two man crews are very efficient for most properties depending on size.I run 2 man crews because of that reason, my rule of thumb is everyone should be done at the same time or its not productive, so if you have 3 guys and one of them is "trying to keep busy" then your not running lean enough. Remember labor is you biggest expense.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009