Frustrated trying to read new oil level - any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by greenred, Aug 25, 2010.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Hi guys

I changed the oil and filter on my new mower for the first time. Unlike every engine I have ever owned this ones dipstick is proving impossible to read. I opened the oil drain and left it open till no more oil drained out. I read both the tractor manual and the engine manual and neither listed the amount of of oil the engine held but this link http://www.theoempartsstore.com/Koh...-Walker-Replacement-Engine-PA-LH775-0010.html says 2 quarts. So I put two quarts in.

Problem is I cant read the dipstick. It looks like I have either not enough or too much oil in the engine or possible just enough. The oil is so clean its almost completely transparent. And all i can get to stick to the dipstick is a very very thin transparent film of oil with a little bub of oil towards the bottom of the dipstick. The dipstick is wet with enough oil over the full mark to wet a paper towel but the bub of oil on the dipstick looks like it goes some where in between the full and add oil lines.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Spray the stick with some carb & choke cleaner to remove the oil then color the end of it a little up past the full mark with a black perminate ink marker......

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I've done what Restro suggests but 3 or 4 years ago, due to my 70 year old eyes, I started using a rough abrasive cloth to rough up the the dipstick to the same level as Restro suggests. Make the rough marks perpendicular to the length of the dipstick.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I drill little holes at intervals that helps.

5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks guys those are some great tips