Frustrated with my hustler mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crocker Lawn, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Crocker Lawn

Crocker Lawn LawnSite Member

I bought a Hustler Super Z 31 HP 60 inch deck in 2010. I have never been really happy with the cut on the xr7 deck. It bogs down in thick grass and the deck cannot handle what I am trying to cut, and the list goes on. I was a scag guy until my dealer stopped selling them so i did not have much of a choice. I know that hustler has come out with improvements with the vx4 deck, and heard that it has been compared to the scag velocity deck. I have to do something different I cannot keep cutting with this mower and deck. People in my area love the hustlers and they work fine for some people but not for me. Should I purchase the new hustler with the vx4 or go another route? The next scag dealer is over 30 minutes away and really do no want to change dealers they are excellent. The dealer also sells bobcat but I'm not too impressed with those machines.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Will your dealer let you demo on your lawns? If not I would drive 30 minutes for a Scag.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Crocker Lawn

Yes, they will let me demo anytime I ask. I would really hate to buy a mower from another dealer, they have really looked out for me, but I can't keep cutting with a crappy deck lol

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

There have been a couple of threads where guys have talked about using different blades on their hustlers. Perhaps, one of them will chime in to give you some help.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious, why did your dealer stop selling Scag?

Honestly Bobcat is a good machine. I would put them up against anything else. Their deck is more like an Exmark though. They are made to cut well in normal conditions. They are not meant to bushhog or cut great when the grass is really too wet to be mowing it.

6. cutyourgrass

cutyourgrass LawnSite Member

If you go and get the scag from the other guy, will your current dealer service it for you? If so, and you feel the need, explain to the dealer that you do not like the performance of the Hustler and really like the way the Scag performs.

After all, 30 mins for a one time trip is not that big of a deal.

Good luck.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I would get a demo on some Bobcat models. The bobcats are very good machines. Well designed, good cut,(from my experience), easy to maintain, last for many years.
    I would take a Bobcat ZTR any day, over a Hustler product.

8. SLMGT

SLMGT LawnSite Member

What type of grass are you cutting in Lucama? I've always had a good cut with the XR7 deck on warm season grasses.

9. Crocker Lawn

Pugs- There was a disagreement between my dealer and the Scag people, a scag rep came and took all of the mowers and that was the last of it. Personally I have always thought there was more to the story than they told me... I might of spoke too soon on Bobcat, I have never demoed one...they have always looked kinda cheap too me. Maybe I should not judge so quickly and demo one.

10. Crocker Lawn

SLMGT- I have a lot of weedy yards, most of my customers do not want spraying etc. Clover...crabgrass etc. Also many of my yards are cut every 14 days so a lot of growth and moisture. The xr7 deck does not do a good job on these yards.