Frustrated

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Mar 11, 2010.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I have never used the heal of a bucket for this, just the cutting edge. And its not hard to do if you can run the machine at all. I guess its all in the operator, I don't know.

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Its just a skidsteer though, not like its a dozer or something..

How much more would it really cost to load up the skid behind the work truck(for most of us its a 3/4ton+ truck) and roll to the job?

3. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Most companies around here the operator hauls the excavator out to the jobsite with dumptruck/trailer to dig basement for a day job.

My main point JR is that the skidsteer could be out doing other jobs rather than be tied up all day to slick basement grade down.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Good point.. I dont know anyone that digs basements here, or runs anything smaller than a 20ton.. So yeah. I was just kinda talkin through my ass, but it did kinda make sense! :drinkup:

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea the skid steer is an extra mob but I use it to stack and separate topsoil anyway. All topsoil here is precious so it is placed outside of the work area, easier with a skid steer than to triple swing it with excavator. Also we will usually build access into the lot, lay in pitrun for a drive. So the skid steer is on scene anyway. there are many guys here who put an excavator and a wheel loader on the same foundation. I don't see the sense in that for all but the biggest holes.

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Our rocket scientists here mix the black dirt and basement dug material and then the people whine because we have to truck lots of black dirt back in for the lawn.:hammerhead:

A lot of the basements that I've seen they put the skid in the hole to level also.

8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I always get it within a couple tenths using the teeth, then just use the back of the bucket to give it that smooth finish.

Here's a example of how its done.

Starts after 0:30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5WBhpDuYE4

9. tmf lawn care

tmf lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

chris were u down in fl when u made that clip bro

10. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nah that was taken around here.