1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Frustrating Day!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffithtlc, Mar 18, 2004.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

We just got a letter in the mail today from a school that we recently bid on. We did not get the bid on it. That's fine and dandy but since we bought out a local lawn company last year that was really struggling. He got the bid last year on this school and was doing so bad they were about to drop him until we took over. It took alot to get the school grounds back in shape and it really sucks because we bid it just a little higher than what he did last year. We figured it was as good as gold but it was not. The grounds were not only the school but all the ball fields too and it was worth about 20,000 for the year. I would have thought the school board learned last year what kind of service they got with the low bid (also never using this company before).
    Then again I know what thought did--- Thought he farted and Sh*t his pants).

Sorry but just venting and the more a person thinks about it GOOD let them have it because when they think it will be easy the school may call because they can't handle it price goes up. Now we know how they think and it's a learning experience.

Good luck to everyone this summer!!
  2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I lost a $12,000 account recently. I t was a commercial account-a marina and storage outfit(no mowing). they hired a woman who lives on her boat to do it for $10 an hour. I think it is safer to have many smaller accounts.
  3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

the school board does not care about service.....they may say they do but remember what momma used to say "actions speak louder than words"
  4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

So far this early season I have submitted bids to three HOA and the local airport. We have a very professional bid packet and good handle on our overhead and expenses. We have provided each project with good solid win/win bids.

We have won none of them. The first words out of their mouths are " ___ was the low bidder" (meaning _____ won)

Low bids are all they care about. One subdivision, 300 houses, needs a pressurized irrigation system maintained. There is only ONE person that knows how the thing works - he installed it. He has tried to show board members and homeowners the ins and outs but none want to learn. We are bidding the project together and have been told
    "yours is the highest bid, we are looking for others..."

No one can know this system, yet they are recieving low bids. Quick cash guys that don't have a clue, and the HOA is only concerned about getting the low bidder.

More power to them...just keep me out of it.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one account that pays us $168,000 per year. You can bet I keep them happy.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I agree with the statement that it is safer to have many small accounts.
  7. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

Guys don't you understand. It is all about the money. Its interesting that some of you become indignant when they want the low bid, but you refer to them by the dollar amount. Hmmm
  8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Its no different than taking my fertilizer business elsewhere because I can save $1.50 a bag. I dont need service just product. Bottom line affects everyone.
  9. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I got underbid by 40% on $40000.00 worth of apartments I have don for 31/2 out of the last 4 years the other 1/2 was someone else. I hope to be so buse when they call back I can tell them to go pound sand in a hole.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a big operation but I can deliver service on bigger accounts if I choose. I choose not to. I am not one to live in low bid land, I let the others. You are correct, HOA's, Cemeterys, City projects, Airports can not justify going with higher bids. The people on those boards are there to keep cost down. I have never been to a meeting where they said "He is 10% higher than the low bid and we will use him".

By letting others get tied up with these high output low income jobs I secure the work that they can't handle. On top of that I am too much of a perfectionist to bend over and use junk products so I can just make money. My reputation is much too valueable to do that.
    Thats my spin and I know some of you gents do well in this game, you have it figured out. I'll stay with my small ones.