Frustration hit boiling point today LOL

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't had a day off in 21 days because I'am in the middle of building a dumping flat for my truck and working my regular job. I think I pizzed my brother off he made dinner but I was so tired and cranky I was pretty snarly when he asked if I was staying for dinner.

Up at 4am for work work 7.5 hours then go work on my deck for 3.5-4 hours do that for 4 days then my shift changes I work 4 afternoons I don't work on my deck then 4 days off I work on my deck plus doing some welding jobs for my brother because he is recovering from a injury.

Today I was so tired trying to weld standing on a plastic milk crate stepped the wrong way bam on my back on a concrete floor just missing a chop saw sitting on the floor. I got back up and started welding again while little things just annoying the heck out of me. I started making mistakes and said thats it I'am done for the day. Now I know why I quit welding as trade don't know how my brother can do it full time. Hot sparks down the ear, burning hair on my head, hot sparks down my shirt. Burned my finger the other day nice blister on it. Haven't had a burn yet where the blood cools the slag from burning any farther.

Stress at my regular job is slowly getting more stressfull. It is the shift work I'am really getting tired of along with other problems. The worst part I'am getting the same stress symptoms that the guy I replaced had and the other employees have :cry:

Find out that management is trying to cheap out on extra help we require during the summer season figuring one person can do the job of two. More and more paper work piled on us and more stuff to point all the blame on us if something goes wrong. Seems like the company is taking more deductions off our pay checks for benefits. A 2200 a month take home paycheck isn't enough. With the cost of living getting higher it is to the point you have to work two jobs to make enough money.

The real kick to the groin :laugh: one of the managers asked me today why I drive a large truck I said it is my second job. He said ya you guys don't make much money not surprised you need two jobs try get us a raise not a chance :rolleyes:

Trying to get my deck done before my hollidays start in mid May so I can have enough time to take the current deck off the truck and get the new one mounted. I may not have the hydraulics mounted but atleast the deck will be on the truck and I can keep using the truck as it is my daily driver.

I'am sure hoping once I get this deck done I can pick up some easy landscaping jobs this summer. I really need to get some extra money coming in. See if anybody wants to do anything in their yards. With things getting so expensive people are not willing to buy topsoil when its 50 dollars or more a yard then you have delivery on top of that. I have to charge atleast 100 dollars to make it profitable for me to travel to the supplier pick up 4 yards it is 5 bucks a gallon for diesel fuel.

I will have 2500 invested into this dump deck still cheaper doing it myself than paying 8 grand for a supplier to do the job. A basic flatdeck that doesn't dump from a body manufacturer is 7000.

If I don't end up with a heart attack from the job stress I can try get my trucking/landscaping business going again and work 30 days a month. I will do it if I can break the 60 grand mark.

No pictures I don't have a digital camera plus I don't have time to stop and take pictures. I forgotten how much work it is to build a flatdeck.

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

damn GR you write long posts...im going to have to read this when i can see straight....1 week of college left this semester until i get to 60 hour weeks and no fun besides slinging dirt (rather do that anyway)...gotta celebrate sometimes

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man, that's life. I quit my restaurant job a week and a half ago, but I've been working non stop one way or another for a week straight and it will continue for the next 6 weeks. I'll be training 40 hours a week and helping out on weekends 25-30 hours there as well. Halfway through a 40 hour HAZMAT course right now that we're required to take, tough class. 10 hours a day sitting in a classroom, difficult to stay focused.

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I am not the greatest welder but for me I like to do welding/fab work, I think it is the way some relate to golf. Gravel Rat, for $50 per yard I will start trucking black dirt to you.:clapping:

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Did I hear someone complaining? Sounds just like one of my normal days......6 and sometimes 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Job "stress"....hello? anyone home?. "Easy" jobs? WTF is that about? My wife still pulls 32 hr shifts with little to no sleep and then goes to her "regular" job......funny, I have yet to hear her complain after all these years.....It is not unusual for us to work into the wee hours where darkness meets day light working on our iron........get up and do it again!! Groveling Rot, grow a pair and have some gratitude....

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

1 guy to do a 2 man job?....ha, i get sent out to do a 3 man job by myself...21 days without a day off? I go the entire summer with only a few days "off"...between operating, farming, and driving...its all just part of the way you live your life, if you don't like it then don't do it

atleast you have money rolling in...theres a lot of guys out there that complain less and still can't find work..haha

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Welcome too the real world.
    Thank god you are not an actual contributing member too society that has responsibilities.
    I see a normal day that I would be proud of and makes me feel complete.:waving:

8. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

well not much more to that rock set & company,did somebody make a broken nail joke?,that dear rat is why you have keyboard calleses & no money.:canadaflag::confused::confused::cry:

9. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

G.R. don't ever join the USMC.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

GR, did you also remember to file your income tax?!!??!