Frustration setting in...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by allstar, Apr 18, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

A month or so ago I mailed out a few thousand fliers and recently the new phone books came out where I have a pretty decent yellow page ad.As a result I've gotten quite a few calls and done a good number of bids....but I'm doing very little work.After allowing for expenses I'm just trying to make 35-40 dollars an hour.I hate to become a "lowballer" but I need some work.
    To some of the more experienced LCO's here,what is your approximate acceptance rate on bids and estimates that you do?Thanks. Jim

2. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

Hey Jim,
    I'll tell you what and a lot of people on here may not want to hear this but I don't really care. You need business and in todays world price is just as important as quality. Look at Wal-Mart. They are constantly pushing low prices blah blah blah, now there comes a point where you have to look at your expenses and see what you can get by on to get your foothold in the market then once your established a little more, then you raise prices accordingly, but don't let your quality drop off. You have to sacrifice a little money to start off with but don't sacrifice your quality of work. That's what's going to get your word of mouth referalls for you, not your low price. Once the work load gets greater then try to start raising your prices, even with the accounts you have now, if the work load picks up enough you shouldn't have to worry about losing a few of your lower paying customers in order to stay busy and have good paying customers. It's not being a scrub if your trying to establish a piece of the market and you keep your prices low in the beginning. Go out and get the work the best you can and do the best work you can when you get the work.

Mark

3. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

Oh yeah and Jim, it's still pretty early in the season here also. Not to mention we are not getting the rain that we had last year. Hang in there, alot of people in our area are working on their own yards right now, trust me, once May gets here and we start getting temps in the lower to mid 90's you'll get more calls. Of course, you'll find out what your made of as well.

Mark