FS 130 users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toad, May 11, 2008.

1. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 130, could not find much on them here. How does everyone like theres, any problems to look for. Its my first 4 stroker, I have always run stihl handhelds from the start. Ran for 2 hrs the other day, seems powerfull and quiet, easy to start also. Dealer said to run high octane as there was a bulliten on them stating this. Thanks

2. Toad

things that go bump in the night

3. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Toad,I had one for less then a year and sold it,the 4-Mix had carbon issues.Contact Stihl or your dealer,they suggest a specific 2 cycle mix for the 4-Mix.Just because I didn't like it dosen't mean you won't love it.

4. Toad

Ok, thanks for the tip. Did you run 93 octane? Did you have starting issues or performace issues.

5. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Your welcome,I had the trimmer 2 years ago,I used Stihl Low Smoke 2 cycle Mix,worked fine,it became a little hard to start and would stall late in the season,I figured I deal with it in the spring,winterized it and when i went to start it in the spring,nothing,the engine was carboned up,I e-mailed Stihl,they pretty much said to bad.I found out latter that it was a potential problem with 4-Mix,I sold it and bought a Shindaiwa which I'm very happy with.I didn't care for Stihl's response and would think very hard before I bought another Stihl product.I blame myself for not doing enough research,I was going to buy a n FS250 but got the Hi-Tech FS130 instead,I almost bought an FS100 also,glad i waited.I did also use high octane.Please don't let my problems worry you,theres plenty of people on the forum that love their's,I didn't.

6. Toad

Well, its nice to know of potential problems, especially if some are preventable. Lets hope I have good luck with it. One thing I do know is my dealer will make things right with me if there are problems. Thats why I bought the trimmer, always have run stihl. Its not like I spent 2k on this equipment anyways. Thanks

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

The FS130 is fine on 89 octane gas. It should be ok on conventional or super oil (we don't even sell the orange bottle conventional stihl oil at our store anymore). The only units I really feel HAVE to have the Ultra is the 500/550/600 blowers. There are carbon build up issues with dino oils on these units, but you should be fine with your 130.

8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

It is hard even if you ask because a lot of people keep saying it is the best in the world. I just learn to read a lot and read between lines and absolutely not asking the sales people. It's one thing to make a wrong decision, it is very mading people tell you a product is the best you bought it and it turn out to be crap.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

KM 130 here and no problems...I love it. Plenty of power, easy to start and quiet.

10. Toad

Ok, Well see how she does, one thing is these 4s have been out long enough now they should have them tweeked in by now. If it works out I will replace all my fs 85s with 130s, I like the quiet power so far!