fs 250 vs t270

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 25, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at the possibility of buying a new trimmer for the spring. There are many times where its just to wet to mow some spots with the mower. Right now I have a fs85 and its a decent trimmer. I would like a more powerful one though so I can have the line out and not bog down. I used a t270 over this summer with another lco and it was a nice trimmer. I havn't used the fs250. The specs say it had over a 12cc bigger engine than the t270 and about half a pound heavier. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? The shin will be between $420 and $500. The fs250 was priced at $400 the fall of 03. I don't know how much the price has changed since. I loved the t270 I was just curious how much more power the fs250 has.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Have the fs250 and never came close to bogging it down, even doing brush

Mac

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I know with the new 4 mix engine there is no comparison to a 2 stroke. We bought a new FS 110 this year and it is absolutely the best and most powerful trimmer we have ever had. You may want to look at the 110 a little harder because it is a lot lighter than the 250. We looked at both of them and decided on the 110 because it was lighter weight. With as much power as that 110 has it should handle just about anything in a normal yard with no problem.I think the 250 is geared mainly toward heavy brushcutting in waist high grass and weeds and may be overkill for yards. I don't know about the 270 shindawia so I really can't comment on it. We paid $350 for that 110 with the bike handle but you would probibly normally pay about $380 for it because we got it on sale. With just the standard loop handle is about $40 less. Not sure about what price they are in your area.

4. stevesmowing

is the fs250 4 mix? On their site it says the 110 is but it doesn't say the 250 is. Also it says the the 110 has a bhp of 1.3 with 31 cc. The fs85 I have is 1.27 bph but only 25cc, how can that be? I am thinking I want a strong trimmer since I already have a light weight one. The 250 is only $30 more I think. But I know with trimmers weight is a big issue.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto that! We also have fs110 and they do anything we need in 99% of all yards. I can't comment on hp and other tech. stuff. All I can tell you is the way they work. The Fs 250 is probably over kill for what you descibed.

Mac

6. stevesmowing

how does the fs85 compare to the fs110?

7. Travis Followell

from KY

There is no comparison. We have a 85 and there just isn't no comparison to the 110 we have. The 110 is much more powerful than 85.

I can't really comment on the 1.27 for the 85 and the 1.3 for the 110. Really doesn't make that much sense to me either but when comparing power that an engine has I always just go by cc'c (cubic centimeters). That is the engine displacement or in other words how large the cylinder is. The more cc's the more power you will have.

8. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

The Fs250 is not a 4-mix system. I believe the FS110 is the only trimmer/brushcutter with the 4-mix engine.

Seth

9. stevesmowing

if it was you and you already had the fs 85 would u by the fs110, fs250 or shin t270?

10. Travis Followell

from KY

I was wrong. The FS 250 does not have the 4 mix engine. The FS 110 is the only one that has it.

If I was choosing between those three I would probibly get the FS 110 although I would have to consider the Shindawia. Like I said i've never used one but I would consider it. IMO you can't go wrong with the FS 110.