FS 55 Wont Start?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BarrFarms, Aug 4, 2008.

1. BarrFarms

BarrFarms LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ar

I've been having problems with my FS-55 lately, I sent it into my dealer, and ask him to make it run, I left with a carb kit and a new primer bulb. I tried to use it on my last account for the day today and it will not start unless you pull it 20-25 times, it is a backup trimmer but I don't like when my backups wont work right. I appriciate all help with this trimmer, we don't seem to be able to figure it out.

Thanks,

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Any idea how old the machine is? I'm sure there was a carburetter change on this model, now only has one adjuster. Have you had the ignition checked? Coil/plug. Over here this model has a reputation for being an awkward b'stard:hammerhead:
    Do check the ignition also the fuel supply, has the fuel filter been checked(inside tank) set mixture screw as per marking on air filter plus one half of a turn.
    Good luck, Phil :)

3. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Barrfarm, does it work hot & cold?, have you checked the fuel lines for cracks?, how long was the last tank of fuel in the machine, more than 30 days? have you pulled the air cleaner and tried starting it a half dozen times or more with starting fluid and pumping the primer bulb to purge the old fuel? Try some of these and see what happens, o.k.? Hey Phil, got your P.M., thank-you, K

4. BarrFarms

BarrFarms LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ar

It is 2006 model. I haven't really used it much, I took the spark arrestor off, and the pad that fits inside the shroud outside the muffler. It ran once today, and runs good when it is started. I may try a new plug tomorrow.

Thanks,

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's probably that ethanol wreaking havoc with the gaskets in the carb,
    I had the same problem with my FS-100rx we put a new carb on it, runs fine now.