1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FS-90 users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Mar 23, 2009.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm thinking of trying them.

I would like to here from you guys that have run the FS-90, and the Shindy T-260, and/or Echo-261.

I'm wanting to know how the Stihl FS-90 compares to the Shindy and the Echo. I have both, and I prefer the Echo, when I can get it started. :rolleyes:

I have never used a FS-90, but I do have BR-600's, and FS-110 edger, they are great, start easy and run great.

I did have a Stihl trimmer years ago, I don't remember the model, it was before the 4-mix came out. The main thing I didn't like, I didn't think it was well balanced. Maybe it was because I was used to Shindy, and it just felt different to me, not sure. Shindy was good back then, so I sold the Stihl and stayed with Shindy. Well, thanks to the EPA, Shindy is not so good anymore and I need to switch.

2. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Shindaiwa T260, and I liked it pretty well. Good power, and always started an ran every time.

I have run multiple FS 110's (which is very similar to the FS 90), and all I can say is WOW!!! No comparison. I couldn't pick up a T260 again. The power seems like double, and the noise level is way lower. Also way better on gas.

I know what you are talking about with the older Stihl's being unbalanced (specifically the FS 80 and 85). The FS 90 and FS 110 are extremely well balanced trimmers, and they weigh about the same as the Shindaiwa T260.

Two things I would do to the FS 90 to make it nicer and lighter would be to put a Shindaiwa Speed-Feed head on it, and put the handle from a Shindaiwa trimmer on it. I don't like the heads or the handles that come with them very well. Once you do this, it will be by far your favorite trimmer.

As far as reliability, they are up there with the 2-strokes, maybe even better. My friends have run them hard for 3 years straight, and have yet to have a problem out of any of them. They are fantastic. The FS 90 is by far the best trimmer for the money at only $299. Once you try one you will never go back to the old 2-strokes.
  3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. And yes, I would put the speed-feed head on it, they are great.

4. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I just bought a FS 90R today along with a BR 600. Paid $271 for the "90". Very nice - ran it for about 20 min. lots of power, but didn't really test it hard.
  5. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Used to run Shindaiwa stuff, now all I run is Stihl, you will like it a lot better. I would never
    go back, and for me the dealer support is a lot better
  6. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We run 4 FS-90's and we love them. I bought an Echo SRM-265 last year, boy was that a mistake, the 90's have a ton more torque and the ergonomics are light years ahead of Echo (Bike Handle). Anyone looking for a slightly used Echo?
  7. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

The thing I do not like on the 4 mix trimmers is the throttle, there is no in between for RPM, it is either low or high, no middle spot like with a 2 cylce. That is the only complaint I have.
  8. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the throttle being only able to do idle or full-speed RPM's and no mid-range, I have found this to not be the case. Unless you are in a very rushed mood. As long as you are patient to find the mid range spot with the trigger (it's not too hard, just more sensitive than the Shindaiwa trigger), I have found the mid-throttle range with the FS 110 to have even more power than the Shindaiwa T260 does at full throttle.

These engines have AMAZING torque at lower RPM's. Now when you get it up to full throttle, now you REALLY have power! It's almost impossible to bog these 4-MIX's down.

One thing I didn't mention before is that the FS 90 is actually superior to the 110 because it has a larger and less restrictive muffler, which enables the engine to run much cooler. So you're reliability, engine longevity, and ease of starting will be higher with the 90 than the 110.
  9. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

That's weird, I never was able to find the mid point. I could sit there with it in my hand and give it gas gradually, but there was this point it would all of a sudden jump up and would not come down where I wanted it. I have tried to run it before at a low RPM but I can't seem to get the head to spin fast enough to cut, and when I give it just a tad bit more gas, whoop it goes up again. So, I went with 250 engines instead. I still have a 4 mix kombi, but rarey use it. I just got so fustrated with it because I never could find the sweet spot for me. Now, the blower I don't have aproblem with, but it is those trimmer engines that give me hell. Just my opinion.
  10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i have an fs90 and i rather have a shindaiwa 242, dont get me wrong the fs90 is a good trimmer. i just think shindy makes better trimmers and blowers.