FS110 R vs RX Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhines, Aug 9, 2004.

1. jhines

jhines LawnSite Member

All,

OK, so the RX line of Stihl trimmers have lighter weight shafts and state in the manual and the website not to run brushblades with them. So, the question is, why not? Is the issue shaft flex or shearing potential, or what? Does anyone know? The reason I ask is that the nearest dealer with any selection (eg. Shin, RM, and Stihl) to me stocks only the RX. They swear that they sell this model to many customers with a grass/brush blade and have had no complains/issues. Any experiences?

Incidentally, I would like to keep this thread about the Stihl R vs RX models. I know that some of you are very biased to other brands and other technologies. I interviewed others and really liked the Shin T260. I chose the FS110 based on a tradition of buying Stihl products, cost ($339 vs $379), and noise level (I know its kind of lame sounding, but it is sort of refreshing after running chainsaws, hedge trimmers, and a 2-cycle Husq line trimmer to run the Stihl at full rpm with half the noise).

Thanks,
    Jon

2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

R is solid shaft, RX is hollow. I went through this whole arguement with a local dealer who clearly had no knowledge of the difference bewteen the two. According to info in the Stihl catalog the RX should only be used as a trimmer. The R can use brush blades and a whole lot more:

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/interchangeable.html
    http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/inter_comparison.html

I didn't end up buying either one, but if I had to I'd definitley go with the solid shaft R. Sure, it's .5 lb heavier, but that .5 lb is spread along the length of the shaft, not just at the end where the head is.

3. jhines

jhines LawnSite Member

So, for those of you who have read this posting, here is what the Stihl Rep for the area told me (through the dealer):

The difference between the two models is only a few parts (shaft and liner, if I listened correctly) which are all covered under a lifetime warranty. So, if you use it with a grass blade and it breaks, Stihl will replace it under warranty.

What I get from this is, go ahead and by the cheaper, lighter version and we will replace parts if they happen to break. What I hear from my dealer is that they have sold many of the RX's with blades (i.e. have not ever stocked R's) and have had no problems with breaks. It also seems that I know more about the Stihl products the dealership sells than they do, as they claimed ignorance as to the R vs RX situation (which I must believe since there is no financial advantage to selling me the RX).

I guess, what I question in the end is, I wonder if the engineers at Stihl plan on occasional use of the light shaft with brush blades? If so, I wonder how much of a safety factor they employ?

Jon

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Stihl will put a disclaimer for liability on any mis-use of the equipment that a dealer sells. If the brush blades are not supposed to be used on the RX versions...Stihl will state that in their warranty and safety literature. If the dealer is selling the RX version and telling customers that they can run brush blades on them ( against the Stihl safety/warranty agreements) then he doesn't have a clue as to the proper use of the equipment he is selling. Try another dealer...sounds like this one just wants your money and doesn't care about you the customer.