fs55 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Groundworks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Groundworks

Groundworks LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I've been using a fs90r that will not start, I'll take it back to the dealer. But I had to buy a trimmer and got a FS 55 out the pawn shop. I know that I gave too much for a used piece of equipment. Anyway, can this trimmer stand up under a work load? What Size line does it use? I"m guessing 0.95 but unsure

2. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

its residental, so it deff. wont last you as long and you wont be able to do as much as fast.

3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

It has a commercial engine (but slightly less powerful) and is a little harder to start. But, the only big difference is the lack of anti-vibration handle. It is designed for homeowners.

4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i use 1. been going strong 3 yrs.

5. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

The Fs55 has a strong reliable engine. Weak points are the throttle (can snap off) and ignition switches (can give up) Also it doesn't have a solid drive shaft, I believe. I have had mine for six years, and it has done a lot of work in that time, some really heavy going, with no complaints. It may even have a more robust engine than the FS90 - only time will tell.
    I've got a KM130 engine unit, and yes, it is a commercial grade engine, and obviously it has more power than the FS55, but until I've had it six years I won't be able to say it's a more reliable engine than the Fs55.
    Bear in mind also that Stihl use the FS55 engine on their multitool unit as well as it being one of the combi engines, so it is likely to be an engine you can trust. Also I think Stihl's standards of what constitutes a homeowner model are more stringent than many companies. Some so called commercial grade tools marketed by other companies don't really deserve the name IMO.

6. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I use one and on its 4th season still runs strong, maybe not as fast as someone mentioned above but still gets the job done. It uses .095 string, that is what came on mine from the factory.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've had one for 5 years commercial including using it in cemeteries. Only thing I've done is put a new feed head on it and an off and on switch. It is a home owner but holds up well. I use .095.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience all of Stihl's products are produced via the same exacting specifications, so they don't make the homeowner line of products by a crappier set of standards than the commercial ones for instance.

Yes sir, be it a homeowner or a commercial unit it makes no difference because they both meet the same rigorous and exact specificational guidelines that makes a Stihl product what it is. I have several Stihl products in that exact line, such as the 021, the HS45 and I'm not sure on the edger but it's also one of them, and at least for me they have always performed right alongside their comparable commercial counterpart models.

It may not have the power of a larger unit now, but other than that I don't think you'll experience much of a problem,
    bet that bad boy runs forever, and if it doesn't I doubt very seriously it's for any other reason than wear and tear.

Good luck with it.