fs66 won't stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by northmichigan, Apr 9, 2005.

1. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

my fs66 stihl line trimmer won't stay running.it will start if i fill the sparkplug cylinder with gas but fades quickly. i've replaced the fuel filter,sparkplug and drained and cleaned the airfilter then filled the tank with fresh two cycle.i haven't touched the carb yet. thanks in advance ;any ideas would be appreciated.
    mj

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take the carb apart clean all the ports with spray cleaning fluid, making sure all the ports into the cylinder are clean and replace all the inner parts. The unit is not leaking around the head gasket is it? If so remove the head and put on a new gasket...the big units screws come loose and that allow the leakage.

3. northmichigan

i'll try it but this is a small carb and i'm stuck with banana fingers...........
    thank you,
    mj

4. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

it sounds to me like it might just need adjusted but i really need to know how old it is , it also could be the spark arrestor screen on the muffler if it gets pluged it will not run ,you can run it without it but i suggest you get a new one, if it is older you may be looking at a carb rebuild ,fairly simple,just replaceing parts, but if you have any reservations about it take it to your dealer, he can surely help!

5. northmichigan

well its not new but i bought it new in 1990.lol. the thing just purred along till this spring. i'm worried that i might not get the carb parts in the small space so its the spark arrrestor screen next.
    thanks
    mj