1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fs80 or fs100 rx

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, Jan 26, 2010.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm looking for opinions on these two trimmers please?I know the FS80 has just been discontinued but I would think theres still some around.Thanks.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The fs100rx is a dedicated trimmer, so if you are planning on running attachments with it, then that is definately not the one for you. But if you are just planning on using it as a trimmer it will be the best one for you. I love my fs100rx, I've used it for 2 season and no problems yet. It is powerful and lightweight, best trimmer I have ever used.

3. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for your response.I think I'm going to try the FS 100 RX.

4. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I believe both are only dedicated trimmers, and since they are discont. the FS80, I would get a FS90 or FS100RX.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on the attatchment. Hedgers are fine. I've used hedgers on my 100rx's for years never broke a shaft. The edger I'd avoid put's too much irregular torque on the cable shaft.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The old FC75 edger used a cable shaft as does the newer FC90.

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that the FS80 has one of the best engines that have been made for awhile. I prefer the FS85 because of the solid shaft, but they quit making those a couple of years ago. If you do not mind the flex cable [like most echos use] I personally would go with the FS 80. It is one of the last "dirty engines" out there.

8. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

they have a lot of talk about you can change the flex cable to the solid shaft and the FS80 become the FS85.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i think the FS100 is pretty light but you cant use attachments

10. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen both side-by-side. The FS 80 is head heavy, and motor light, and the FS 100RX is motor heavy, and head light. In your hand the FS 100RX feels very balanced (you could trim one-handed), and the FS 80 is unbalanced. But I actually like the head-heaviness of the FS 80, as it keeps the power under control very well, and the head doesn't jump around very much. But, the FS 100RX has about 1/2 again as much power, is lighter by 1/2 a pound, and is easier to start. It is a monster of a trimmer powerwise, especially noticeable at low rpms.

The FS 80 is being discontinued, and is the last of a super-reliable breed, so you either get it now or never. But really, it's your pick. Either one is great.