FS85 loud?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer that I've been doing for about 3 years. Young guy with 2 kids and a wife. His wifes grandmother bought them a Snapper self propelled walk and an FS85. He owed me for 3 cuts and I joked that he should let me have that trimmer instead. Long story short, I got it and it didn't even have any green on it!
    Anyway, I've never used Stihl products before so I don't know if it's supposed to sound so loud? I mean it's really annoying. I'm used to my Robin and even wide open it doesn't sound like this thing. I've used Echo trimmers also and they sound annoying to me too.
    Anyway, I put a brush blade on it so it'll be my brushcutter/backup.
  2. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I use FS85's and I don't think they are any louder than Red Max or Shins. I've never been around a Robin.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have both, stihl and robin.........stihl is louder and heavier.........why I love my robin's

4. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I agree on the loudness, but like you say it's more of an annoyance loud. I have an FS85R and I find it whiny & shrill. Lotta Redmax around here and they just sound slightly deeper in sound. Though if you are a Stihl fan, the FS85 is one of the best tried and true engines in the line up of trimmers. Bullet proof, starts very easily, takes a lot of attachments, and is generally a good all around reliable work horse. Similar to to FS80 hedge pruner engine as well. Very reliable. But I do hate the sound. I use Stihl ear protection, and if I didn't wear it the Stihl would drive me nuts. I pity the neighborhood every time I fire it up. :laugh:

hillndale :headphones:
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, the FS85r is what I have. I know it's silly but, it sounds like a scalded dog when I use it! I really appreciate my Robin after using the Stihl.
  6. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I use a Robin also and its power to noise ratio is awesome.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you should let me have the trimmer :laugh:
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Tharrell and Murphy, Do either of yall use the 4 cycle robin by chance? My dealer is trying to push me into one...........but Im still skeptical

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most of us that have been in the business for a while can't hardly hear them run. Especially after I stopped using ear plugs a few years ago and started using ear phones for radio. Just turn the radio up until you can't hear the trimmer and life will be fine. By the time you get old they will do ear drum transplants to fix hearing problems cause by all the ipods anyway.
  10. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, I dont use the 4 cycle.