FS90 or FS110

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roger Wilkerson, May 5, 2006.

1. Roger Wilkerson

Roger Wilkerson LawnSite Member

I am considering a fs90 or fs110 for home use. I have around three acres and need to beat back the woods so plenty of power to run the brush blade is important. I also like the idea of being able to buy attachments. What are the opinions?

Thanks Roger

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

FS90R- - 28.8CC 4-Mix Engine-Solid drive shaft to accept gear head attachments

FS110R- 31.4 CC 4-Mix Engine-Solid drive shaft to accept gear head attachments

AVAILABLE GEAR HEAD ACCESORIES:

Fixed head hedge trimmer
    Rotating head hedge trimmer
    Rotating head power sythe
    Pole Pruner
    Mini Tiller
    PowerSweep
    Edger
    Brush

How much brushcutting are you planning on doing? If a lot then possibly the FS90 brushcutter and the FS110 brushcutter may be better for your situation.

Also, if you really are going to be changing attachments frequently, you may want to look into the KombiSystem. It changes out the shaft rather than the gear head which is faster and less of a risk of getting something in the gearbox.

With that you have the choice of the KM 55R or the KM 110R power heads, the 110R being the same engine on the FS110R trimmer.

KOMBISYSTEM ATTACHMENTS:

Line Trimmer
    Fixed head hedge trimmer
    Flex head hedge trimmer
    Grass blade
    edger
    PowerSweep
    pole pruner
    powerbrush
    mini cultivator.

Hope that gives you some insight on what options are available, feel free to ask anymore questions about this, ive had my Stihl trimmer for a good while now and it has never ever had anything break or need fixed in it, great equipment!

3. Roger Wilkerson

I will be doing a lot more brush cutting than attachment changing but I like the idea of being able to change attachments quickly and cleanly. In fact the reason i am buying is to avoid renting a dr brush mower. I can buy cheaper than I can rent and I will actually have something.

On another note, I have an older fs36 that runs good but just doesn't meet my needs, how much do you think something like that is worth?

Thanks for your input

Roger

4. skywalker629

skywalker629 LawnSite Member

I am a home owner with 3.6 acres. I bought the FS110 last fall and it is great for normal trimming and cutting down tall grass with the Stihl X line. I researched the Kombi system for a while but figured the solid shaft would be more durable in the long run for grass and brush cutting since I didn't need the other attachments. The 110 has a reasonable weight, good power and I can run it for 2-3 hours at a time without feeling exhausted.

5. Roger Wilkerson

Skywalker, have you used it with a brush blade and if so, how well does it work?

Thanks, Roger

6. skywalker629

skywalker629 LawnSite Member

I haven't used the brush cutter attachment. Originally I had planned on buying the brush blade to do some bush hogging with but the Stihl X line did so well when I tried it out, I put off that purchase.

I have used a couple of McCulloughs and a top of the line Echo last year. The McCullough was weak by comparision. The Echo was a good 2-cycle machine with higher rpms but I prefer the lower rpm torque of the Stihl 4-Mix. Definately get a full face shield for brush cutting. It has saved me numerous times.

7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Last summer I bought one of the small Stihls, an FS 45 which is 27.2cc, and I love it. My previous one was a Craftsman, and a lot more rugged, a 51.7cc straight-shaft brushwacker, but it was too heavy, even with the shoulder harnass that came with it. The Sears has only about 25 hours on it, and now that I have the Stihl, I'll never use it again. If anyone in NJ wants it and will pick it up, it's a freebie. Let me know. Doesn't start too easily, but I've always been able to get it going when I tried. I have the manual too, which includes the parts catalog.

8. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have an fs 85 and have used it in the woods for clearing brush. it works well and i would think that the 110 would be even better. i would also suggest that you use a cutter head with chainsaw blades as opposed to a saw blade. the chainsaw blade does not kick and jump the way a circular saw blade does.

9. Roger Wilkerson

Thanks Murph

10. William McClellan

William McClellan LawnSite Member

Larry, Do you still have the 51.7cc Brushwacker. Ihave one and thew coil is bad and I can not find on because they are noe obsolete .I would be happy to buy yours if you still have it. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    William D. McClellan
    864-847-7900
    wdmrsm@hughes.net