Fuel additives. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mummert's Mowing, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mummert's Mowing

Mummert's Mowing LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use fuel additives in your diesel trucks? I just recently had to replace the fuel injector pump and lift pump in my 01 cummins, $2500:cry: My mechanic said that the new fuel was killing the pumps in the older diesels. However the pumps did have 123,000 miles on them. Anyway's, my mechanic recommends and sells fuel additives and I wasn't sure if he was just being a good salesmen or if the stuff really does help. Thanks!

2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend you get a gauge to monitor pressure from your lift pump. When your lift pump goes bad your injector pump will keep trying to pull fuel from the tank and you will not know. This will heat up the injector pump and fry the electronics on it. You will replace that injector pump again if you don't put a pressure gauge on that lift pump. I had to find out the hard way also like you did. I sold the truck but I was getting ready to put a gauge on it.

Also I run additive in my on and off road fuel. I usually run Power Service since I can buy it at Wal-Mart. It is cheap insurance to not gel and it keeps all the injectors lubricated and clean.

3. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I use Lucas

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

And Power Kleen

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Stanadyne at EVERY fill-up since new.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The 2nd generation Cummins ISB VP-44 Bosch fuel injector pump is totaly fuel lubricated, use a diesel fuel additive that is a lubricant, not a solvent. I use AMSOIL diesel fuel additive/Lubricant, AMSOIL Cetane boost. For addtional lubrication I also add AMSOIL HP outboard engine Injector 2-Stroke TC-W3 oil to each tank of ULSD. lUCAS OIL, Howe's are great diesel lubricants. Power Service is a solvent/paint thiner, to include xylene. If you get 100,000 miles out of a Bosch VP-44 with no fuel addtives thats "above" the norm. ULSD although not directly the cause, does remove the natural lubrication properties of diesel, depending on the oil refinary some replace the lubrication with a quality additive, while the majority only follow API minimal fuel lubricant standards. The FASS system (LP delete) relocation, will also solve the "weak" LP fuel PSI, and VP-44 fuel starving/overheating.

http://www.newlifeparts.com/msds/power_01025-12.pdf

8. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

I run the Howes in my 97 powerstroke. Have you looked at the FASS set ups for your cummins?

9. Mummert's Mowing

Mummert's Mowing LawnSite Member

what is a FASS system, I've heard of something called a Pusher Pump that is an additional pump that assists the lift pump.

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The FASS system is the top of the line aftermaket fuel pump for diesels, it's a Pusher Pump. Their is a Walbro genorator style fuel pump made by Glacier diesel also excellent pump easier install. Both systems can be used on Cummins, Duramax,Powerstroke. On the Cummins you must ensure that you can feed the 1st generation mechanical P7100, 2nd generation VP-44 4th & 5th generations are CP3,all are Bosch fuel injector pumps. I just changed my stock LP, at 45,000 it was ok, but I know that it's cheaper to treat the LP like a fuel filter LP is 125.00, and will get weaker as the mileage increases. Add the 2 stroke TC-W3 outboard engine oil to your diesel, I sometimes use the Wal-Mart Super-tech 2-stroke TC-W3= Ashless formula brand, (when my AMSOIL 2 stroke stock is low) in the blue gallon jug for aprox $9.00 excellent product. add up to 10oz per "FULL FILL UP", It will not smoke either, and guarantee's your new Bosch VP-44 is getting lubrication you will see an increase in MPG also.Thier is a rotory piston in the VP-44 that compresses the diesel, when it lacks lubrication heat builds, and scores the VP-44's internal pump wall, and the rubber diaphram now must stretch farther to meter the fuel to each injector line, thats a crash course in the VP-44 internal workings each cycle.