fuel cap gauge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, May 4, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

On my Scag fuel gauge on the fuel cap, the plastic cover seems to fade so much that you can't read the gauge. Has anybody been able to solve this problem without buying a new cap?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I added an auxillary tank to my grasshopper. I got tired of running out of gas way in the back yard (never runs out near the trailer does it?). Now I don't even look at the gauge anymore, when it runs out I just flip the valve to the aux. tank and finish cutting,then fill up when I get back to the trailer.

3. Stonewall

Nice idea, Ed. Where did you get the auxiliary tank?

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think all the caps get this way. You would think after all these years of making caps, they would perfect this somehow.

I cured the running out of gas too. I got a diesel and now I just have to remember to fill it up every 2 days. ;)

5. Stonewall

I may try to pop the clear cover off and clean it.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stonewall,

Here's my aux tank. You guessed it, it's made out of an old tomato soup can, with a brass tailstock from a sink basin soldered to the top of the can. The cap is from a Shindawa backpack that had a crack in it, so I cut the neck off and attached it to the tailstock with a radiator clamp. The second picture is the shutoff valves to direct fuel from whichever tank I want. Remember, the aux tank is only there to get me back to the trailer and my gas supply.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[Edited by mowerman90 on 05-05-2001 at 03:14 PM]