1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel constantly running on Bluebird verticutter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Whether it is running or not, the fuel keeps flowing on my Bluebird Verticutter. I think it has the Initek motor (I can check if needed, but I'm pretty sure). When I shut off the fuel shot-off valve it stops, but otherwise it keeps flooding everywhere & even floods out the motor while running now.

2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck or the needle valve is bad. I'd rebuild the carb if it was mine.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Very hard to do? Never tried that task yet. Thankfully I've never needed to until now.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not really, start by unscrewing the carb bowl from the engine it will be the bowl on the bottom of the carb and will either have a bolt in the bottom or just unscrew like a jar, once you do that you will see the float hanging down with a pin in it, remove pin and remove the float. Shake it and see if there is any gas inside it if there is then it needs to be replaced, if not then inspect the needle the is attached to it for pitting/proper sealing. My guess would be its a cracked float. Did I mention turn the fuel valve off before starting this? Also drain and refill crankcase oil as it has now been contaminated with excess fuel.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Naaa,
    There isn't much too these little carbs, If you post the model and type numbers myself or another will post you a break-down just in case you need it.